Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry hopping tea with pellets?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Dry hopping tea with pellets?

I have dry hopped by putting pellets in the secondary but was thinking of doing a hop tea for more affect. However, I don't have whole leaf, just pellets. Has anyone done a hop tea with pellets or is it even worth it?

What temp and how much water should I use to hop 1oz?

Thanks.

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Raffie
Recipes 

Dry hoping beer with tea or dry hoping tea with hop pellets?

Old 01-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Extraction of hop aroma is a balance between temperature and time. The oils extracted and retained during dry hopping differ from the range extracted by heating. Also, the alcohol in the brew will extract components that using water won't. If you boil hops for a tea, the results will be more like adding the hops to the wort, than dry hopping. So, a five minute boil would be like increasing your aroma hop add.

The hop oil I have is made by steeping hops in 50% alcohol at room temperature. This is a commercial product, but I know the person who makes it. You could try it using a vodka with very little flavor.

And as always, post the results.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds good for a different experiment that I'll try soon, but for this recipe, I'll just dump the pellets into the secondary and rack on top.

Thanks.

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did anyone ever soak their hops in Vodka at room temp? I have never dry hopped before and a few of my friends are looking at doing it. They are going to be using leaf hops and they are trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Hop Tea .... leaf Hops in a secondary.... or now hops in vodka?

I understand that with the hop tea you don't want to boil the hops because that will add more bitterness but what about a warm steap? I feel like that wouldn't be the same as just throwing them into the secondary but then again I have no experience with it.

Quick Reply