Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping & Sanitation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidry View Post
Never been a fan of Absolut, but a hop infused vodka? Now ya got me thinkin'! Hmmmmmmm.....
Use vodka in your airlock for an ipa, then drink the vodka when fermentation is over. It's delicious, but a little depressing when you realize how much hoppiness is scrubbed out by fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #22
NewDecadeBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

@bbrim I have a couple kegs with sure screens over the dip tubes just for the purpose of dry hopping in the keg. I hear ya - dry hopping in the fridge works although in the past I have drank most of it before it starts getting really good, plus the beer stays hazy for a really long time, at least the way I have done it. With my current beer I was trying to emulate the Firestone -Walker technique of dry hopping late in the primary. I got a little too busy this week to constantly keep up with ice additions to my son of fermentation chamber. Fermentation was kept at 63 to 65 F but for the "secondary" phase it has gotten up to 75 F, so maybe that increase in temp helped whatever potential there was for a souring organism to flourish. Why is there always a heat wave or unexpected cold snap when I am trying to ferment a beer? Murphy's law I guess. More most interesting man in the world stuff - "when he brews a batch of beer the ambient ferment temps are always perfect. His dry hops are always fresh and never contaminated with strange yeasts or bacteria. His beer drops clear in three seconds. He is the most interesting man in the world".

BTW I am not knocking you bbrim my brain lately has been thinking in most interesting man in the world sayings. I have a 5 year a 7 year old and a job still thank goodness. I have a batch of beer going bad in my too warm garage and I think I am starting to get nutty in a Clark Griswold sort of way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply