Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping & Sanitation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Chris135
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Hopping & Sanitation

Is it safe to dump pellet hops from a sealed package into your carboy? I had either bacteria or wild yeast cause my first dry-hopped beer to go sour and I'm re-evaluating my sanitation procedures. I've never heard of anyone doing anything to sanitize their hops before. Does Hopunion sterilize their hops before sealing them? I know hops have some antibacterial properties. Just wondering because I'm brewing another IPA today that will be dry-hopped with citra.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I, and a lot of folks do it all the time with no I'll affects. I suppose if you want to be absolutely sure you can soak in vodka. Not sure what that would do with the hop oils if anything at all.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

I've always just dumped the hops in regardless of manufacturer. There's always the chance that you have that 1% of hops that caused your infection. But, I'd start looking other places first.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have pulled hops straight of the vine and put them into secondary. No sanitation and I handled them with my dirty hands. There was no infection. Hops are very resistant to any beer spoiling organisms and I would not worry about that being a source of infection. If you bag your hops it might be worth sanitizing the bag, which is how I go about it.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I remember hearing on a brew strong episode that vacuum sealed pellet hops go through a heat treatment process that Pasteurizes them.

I would be more hesitant to dry hop with cones directly off the vine, as there are tons of wild yeast all over vegetation. The guys on brew strong mentioned it was best to use wet hops at the end of the boil for this reason. I've never tried wet hops either way, do cant comment from experience.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
I remember hearing on a brew strong episode that vacuum sealed pellet hops go through a heat treatment process that Pasteurizes them.

I would be more hesitant to dry hop with cones directly off the vine, as there are tons of wild yeast all over vegetation. The guys on brew strong mentioned it was best to use wet hops at the end of the boil for this reason. I've never tried wet hops either way, do cant comment from experience.
My experience disagrees. Like mentioned above, I've used hops right off the bines (not vines) many times and never had a problem. I probably dry hop 75% of the beers I make and I've never had an infection caused by dry hops in hundreds of batches.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 4

By the time you dry-hop, beer is fairly infection-proof. It's 4-10% alcohol, hoppy, slightly acidic and relatively devoid of anything edible.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #8
g-star
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
My experience disagrees. Like mentioned above, I've used hops right off the bines (not vines) many times and never had a problem. I probably dry hop 75% of the beers I make and I've never had an infection caused by dry hops in hundreds of batches.
Interesting to hear...I defer to your personal experience.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #9
g-star
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Interesting to hear...I defer to your experience.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post
by the time you dry-hop, beer is fairly infection-proof. It's 4-10% alcohol, hoppy, slightly acidic and relatively devoid of anything edible.

this^^^^^

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply