Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping and Sanitation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
hiphops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Dry Hopping and Sanitation

Ok, so this just may go down as one of the dumbest questions in Homebrewtalk.com history . . . I am going to do my first dry hopped beer; I'll be using hop pellets.

The beer has pretty much fermented out (actually, I haven't checked but I will: the beer's been fermenting for about 1 month now).

Do I just (1) drop the pellets in?; or (2) first spray the pellets with sanitizer and then drop them in?

Seems like I should sanitize it only in the sense that they are going into the carboy, but then again . . . they're hops! Any ideas?

Swim - bike - run - repeat
Indict - convict - affirm on appeal - repeat
Brew - bottle - drink - repeat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Just drop them in.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Drop them in and give it a gentle swirl.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo155 View Post
Drop them in and give it a gentle swirl.
Why? They are gonna do what they need to do regardless of swirling them or not. Which is coming in contact with the beer, and eventually falling through.

Anytime you've opened the fermenter you've broken the integrity of the co2 barrier, there's a good chance you've introduced oxygen into the vessel. Oxygen + fermented beer = Liquid Cardboard.

Me personally I want to eliminate that risk as much as possible. As much as I say it's difficult to ruin your beer, I still like to futz with it as little as possible. And doing something unnecessary in the overall scheme of things is one of the things I like to avoid.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

+1 Just drop them in..... disturb your co2 layer as little as possible. hop pellets will break apart and distribute themselves.

Only thing I usually want to touch my beer with once it's in a fermentation bucket is a racking cane on bottling or kegging day

If you want to be anal and sanitize something sanitize the out side of the hop packet and the knife or scissors you use to open the pack with before dumping in. (even that is over kill. I try to do that with my yeast before pitching but sometimes have a few too many brew day and have had no problems)

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Quick Reply