Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping Right into the Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
nickrjsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have decided to dry hop with the bag. I have just added 25g of my garden hops (whatever they may be... slightly fresh citrus smell) in a hop bag tied both ends so it makes a ball.

The beer (English Real Ale) has been fermenting in the primary for 5 full days. When I opened the seal there was no gas expelling.. (does this mean that most fermentation has finished?)

I'm planning to leave the bag in (although sitting high on the surface) for 9 days. Do you think this is too long?

Then I'm racking off into a primed pressure barrel and will leave to sit for 7 days.

Any advice on this?

PS - do i add the finings to the primary for the last few days, or add the finings to the barrel for the 7 days sitting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
Hophazard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrjsmith View Post
The beer (English Real Ale) has been fermenting in the primary for 5 full days. When I opened the seal there was no gas expelling.. (does this mean that most fermentation has finished?)
The only way to tell is to take a hydrometer reading. Once it's remained constant for a few days, fermentation is finished. Even after you've reached FG, I would wait a week or so to let the yeast finish consuming some of their byproducts before dry-hopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrjsmith View Post
I'm planning to leave the bag in (although sitting high on the surface) for 9 days. Do you think this is too long?
I routinely dry-hop between 7-10 days (depending on when I have time to rack off of the hops) and haven't had a vegetal aroma or any other negative side effects, so I think you'll be fine. 7 days in the pressure barrel should be fine - you just want any remaining hop particles to settle out (and there will be some).

Old 09-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
nickrjsmith
Recipes 

So do you think dry hopping after 5 days fermenting in the primary is too soon?

Old 09-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
Hophazard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes - unless fermentation has ended, the production of CO2 will drive off the hop aroma.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
spiny_norman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophazard View Post
Yes - unless fermentation has ended, the production of CO2 will drive off the hop aroma.
The technique that I use is to drop hop in the primary when it's almost done fermenting. The theory is that you want a little CO2 production to prevent oxidation, but not to add the hops too early otherwise the CO2 will blow out a lot of aroma as you say. After 10 days on the dry hops I usually cold crash for 5 or 6 (adding gelatin) which drops everything and compacts it nicely. I also started dry hopping in the keg which works very well (I learned this from a local craft brewery: they dry hop in the primary and also add hops in the serving tank and their IPAs have the most amazing aroma).

I also do a CO2 push from the primary to the keg after I've flushed the keg with CO2 as additional insurance against oxidation.

Quick Reply