Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry hopping questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 04:13 AM   #1
oooFishy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry hopping questions

What is the main difference between dry hopping in the secondary fermenter vs dry hopping in the keg while the beer is being cold conditioned? I've read about some recipies that call for several dry hoppings while the beer is in the secondary. Sure seems like a lot of O2 exposure if u ask me...

Also, I guess it is general knowledge that dry hopping just contributes to aroma: is this really 100% true. I have my doubts. What do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

The bittering alpha acids will not dissolve at room temperature, but some of the flavor oils will in addition to the aroma oils. The temperature determines which oils dissolve and how fast, so you gets different profiles under those two conditions.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

The biggest difference between dry hopping in the secondary and dry hopping in the keg is the mess in your keg that will plug up your out poppet to the point where you have to rack the beer into a clean keg, spend an hour or so cleaning all the hop crud out of the first keg, and still have hop bits in every pour of that beer.

In other words, don't do it. Take it from someone who has.

TL

Old 10-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
oooFishy
Recipes 

So David, you're saying at higher temps (2ndary) you will get more flavor in addition to aroma whereas in the keg at lower temps you'll get just aroma?

That being said, are dry hopping times in the 2ndary usually lower than that of the keg, because with higher temps it doesn't take as long for desired results?

So, at what point during secondary ferm do you guys usually begin dry hopping?

Oh, and Tex, I use a mesh bag to dry hop. so a mess is not a problem. I've been just leaving it in my keg when I serve.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
So, at what point during secondary ferm do you guys usually begin dry hopping?
I start the day after I rack to secondary. The reason I wait is so that any co2 that decides to come out of solution won't blowoff my hop aroma. Some times there is no co2 breaking out of solution though and I dryhop as soon as I can...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 10-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive21
I start the day after I rack to secondary. The reason I wait is so that any co2 that decides to come out of solution won't blowoff my hop aroma. Some times there is no co2 breaking out of solution though and I dryhop as soon as I can...
I do about the same. I usually leave my beer in the secondary for about 10 days, so I give it a few days before I put the hops in.

Yes, and I thought about the mesh bag not long after I replied. I just wish I had thought about it before I tossed the hops in the keg those years go!

TL

Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
1f1fan
Recipes 

I don't transfer to a secondary, just leave in the primary for 2 weeks and then rack to a keg. I dry hop in the keg, room temp for a week and then remove the hops (pellet in a fine mesh bag) from the keg.

I have thought about dry hopping with loose pellets right in the primary for the last week in primary. I like to dry hop warm for a week although I know some guys who just throw the hops in the keg cold and leave them in until the keg blows.

Hops and malts, may God preserve them all.

Quick Reply