The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
wakeuphicks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Dry Hopping questions

When dry hopping if I use 1oz pellets vs 1 oz whole hops, is it the same? Or are pellets more concentrated and therefore you would need more than 1oz of whole hops to equal 1ox of hop pellets?
And I read that putting a marble or something similar in the hop bag to keep it weighed down and make easier to retreieve it from the carboy is a good idea - only problem is I dont have any marbles. Any suggestions on what I can use as a substitute? Would rocks or river rocks present too many issues, even if sanitized?
Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
worksnorth
Worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

1oz is 1oz regardless of hop type. However whole hops will soak up more of you beer. Simply your preference. I love whole hops my buddy likes the pellets. Pellets are easier to work with usually though it seems.
As far as marbles for weight, you can also use a piece or pieces of something stainless. Nuts, bolts, washers. Just make sure they are horribly clean and sanitized.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Wrong... 1 oz. pellets lend a little more bitterness than 1 oz. leaf hops. I think both versions are fine for all additions, but I tend to prefer pellets at flameout and in the dryhop.

For weighing down the bag, stainless steel soup spoons would work. But if you're using a carboy instead of a bucket, it could be difficult to add/remove from the tiny neck.

Quick Reply