Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > dry hopping question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
missing link
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default dry hopping question

My last lager required dry hopping in the secondary. I just dropped the hop pelletts into the carboy before racking my beer to secondary. I was careful when siphoning to my keg not to get to much sediment but some did get sucked through.

WHen I tapped the keg hops plugged the outlet tube at the post. After fixing that, I had a Super Bowl party. Beer was clear and delicious. A week after the party and the keg is 2/3 gone, I am now getting quite a bit of hop debris in each pour.

Any idea why the sediment would show up after drinking so much of it?

Is there a sock of some kind to dry hop with to avoid the sediment?

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I make a ball out of cheese cloth and put my hop pellets in them and toss them in my carboy. They expand quite a bit, and they can be challenging to get it out when you are done, but is sure avoids the problem you described.

Loop

Old 02-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You can dry-hop with one of those hop socks you boil in. Weight it down with some marbles. If you are dry-hopping in a carboy, it might be advisable to tie some fishing line around the bag to help with removal. You could also just drop the pellets in, and then attach a paint strainer or mesh bag to your racking cane to filter when siphoning to the keg.

Another option for you might be just to do your secondary in the keg, dry hop with a bag and just pull it out when you are done.

Another option is to dry-hop with whole hops if available. I personally like this method better, because it avoids most of the small pieces.

Make Beer, Not War.

Quick Reply