Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry hopping in primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Dry hopping in primary?

I will have 2 beers coming up to dry hop around the same time.

All my primary ferms will be full, and I have 1 glass carboy I use to secondary/dry hop or add additional fruit in fruit beers. One will go in carboy as normal, can I just dry hop the other in primary once fermentation subsides?

Anyone done it this way? Any problems or disadvantages I'm not thinking of?
I orginally learned to brew in the early 90's where it was encouraged to get beer off yeast asap. that thought seems to have changed.

Considering seeing if I can get a "free" 5gal plastic water jug from "somewhere"... if primary dry hopping is not reccomended.

thanks in advance.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quite a lot of people dry hop in primary these days.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

thanks again revvy.

I couldn't think of a reason not to, and couldn't find anything online stating otherwise.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 10-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I usually primary 3 weeks, and throw hops in for another week. Works for me.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't and wouldn't, but to each his own. Here's a quote from BYO on doing it.

"dry hopping in the primary fermenter will work, and is favored by some brewers, but conventional wisdom teaches that the primary might not be optimal. The problem lies in the bubbling of the CO2 and the agitation of the wort during primary fermentation. This bubbling and agitation takes some of the hop aroma out of the beer just like boiling would. This, of course, may defeat the purpose of dry hopping, although some of the hop essence will subsist. If you choose to dry-hop in the primary fermenter, you may want to add more hops than you would for dry hopping in the secondary or keg."

Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I don't and wouldn't, but to each his own. Here's a quote from BYO on doing it.

"dry hopping in the primary fermenter will work, and is favored by some brewers, but conventional wisdom teaches that the primary might not be optimal. The problem lies in the bubbling of the CO2 and the agitation of the wort during primary fermentation. This bubbling and agitation takes some of the hop aroma out of the beer just like boiling would. This, of course, may defeat the purpose of dry hopping, although some of the hop essence will subsist. If you choose to dry-hop in the primary fermenter, you may want to add more hops than you would for dry hopping in the secondary or keg."
But I think most people who do primary hopping, don't add the hops while fermentation is actually happening and the beer is "agitating" I think most people keep to a similar timeframe as they would in secondary. They wait til fermentation subsides before adding the hops.

So the beer is as calm as if it were in secondary (maybe more so, since it wasn't racked over and nothing was kicked up.)

Just like O'Daniel said, after three weeks, hopping for one. I would do my normal schedule and do it in two weeks for two.

I think the BYO answer is no different than an answer anywhere else, just someone "wanking their opinion." Not some gospel thing, because honestly, who whould think that dry hopping in a primary would be done while fermenting? Probably someone who is thinking that the beer is only in the primary for a short time, like one of those autolysis believing yeast-phobes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODaniel View Post
I usually primary 3 weeks, and throw hops in for another week. Works for me.

That's what I was thinking adding only after fermentation complete.

"Probably someone who is thinking that the beer is only in the primary for a short time, like one of those autolysis believing yeast-phobes."

I used to be one of those, Not anymore! thoughts on this have really changed!

Last edited by starrfish; 10-26-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

glad to read this. I will have to dry hop in the primary for the first time coming up since they are all filled up. I look at that as a good thing though

Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It works really well. I do it even when I have a secondary open. It saves a step.

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 12-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
beach
Recipes 

Works just fine for me. All my beers get 4 weeks in primary & into bottles. As long as the ferment is complete you won't loose any aromas/flavors.

Hope Springs Eternal- Go Cubs Go!

Michiana Grain & Extract Association at: www.mega-brew.com

Quick Reply