Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > dry hopping and naturally carbonating a keg

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
basilchef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default dry hopping and naturally carbonating a keg

Can i do both? Also, can i leave the hops in the whole time? I have already dry hopped but want to maintain/ accentuate the hop aroma. Three gallons of ipa. 3 gal keg. I can't get enough hops!

__________________
basilchef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
basilchef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Not a troll. Lol just new to this whole thing. Not alot of info about three gallon kegs and naturally carbing due to no co2 tank or regulator yet. Just the cartridges. I want to get it right.

__________________
basilchef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Williamsburg, Va
Posts: 1,154
Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Default

Carbing in the keg won't deplete the hops because you are not releasing the gas. If you were to vent your keg and bubble co2 through it you would deplete a lot of hop charicter although I can't think of why you would do that.

Otherwise my suggestion for more hop aroma is to hook up a randal to your draft line with the hops of your choosing.

__________________
Brewskii is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
basilchef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
Carbing in the keg won't deplete the hops because you are not releasing the gas. If you were to vent your keg and bubble co2 through it you would deplete a lot of hop charicter although I can't think of why you would do that.

Otherwise my suggestion for more hop aroma is to hook up a randal to your draft line with the hops of your choosing.
Randal? Is that like s hop back?
__________________
basilchef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
basilchef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Looked into a randall but its a bit pricy. Id rather spend the $ on a regulator. The hops i have. There is just not much info on the bare bones system i have. Its seems all who keg spring for the co2 right away. Still looking for help. The beer is ready and i still feel unsure about the process.

__________________
basilchef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
GSul
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: East Haven, CT
Posts: 43
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

It should work out OK. The first thing that comes to my mind is clogging. Hops are capablele of clogging up the dip tube inside the keg. If they are pellets, this may not be as much of a problem, although I have never tried this. It is still possible that you can clog it but they also could get sucked right through, leaving clear-flowing brew.

Naturally carb'ing is a godsend, too. I love priming with wort! Also, in doing this processs I add hops into the kettle. They flow through nicely after dropping out of suspension. Cold crashing just before consumption helps this process also. You should be fine.

Cheers,

__________________
GSul is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
basilchef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSul View Post
It should work out OK. The first thing that comes to my mind is clogging. Hops are capablele of clogging up the dip tube inside the keg. If they are pellets, this may not be as much of a problem, although I have never tried this. It is still possible that you can clog it but they also could get sucked right through, leaving clear-flowing brew.

Naturally carb'ing is a godsend, too. I love priming with wort! Also, in doing this processs I add hops into the kettle. They flow through nicely after dropping out of suspension. Cold crashing just before consumption helps this process also. You should be fine.

Cheers,
Thanks. I was going to put them in a hop sack to avoid the clogging. Also was thinking dme for the prime. Should i pull the pressure pin before tapping to release pressure? Or just connect the cobra and pull a few yeasty pints then attach the co2 cartridge etc?
__________________
basilchef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
GSul
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: East Haven, CT
Posts: 43
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I say see what she (the keg) gives you. I'll pull the pin for less than a second just to be sure there is pressure building up throughout the days of fermenting. This is due to too many experiences with flat beer that I thought was carb'ed. More like reassuring myself that she's carb'ed. The loud "PSHH" and the force of air is a great feeling, too.

I wouldn't release pressure. This stuff's gonna help dispense your brew. Also, CO2 cartridge seems like a tight idea. Excuse my language. You may not even need it though!

What's this hop sack thing? I was thinking it may be better to just purposefully suck those (if pelletized) hops right out of your keg when tapping. This is only if you know the hop sack won't clog. Man now I'm rambling. Is it like a muslin bag?

__________________
GSul is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
basilchef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSul View Post
I say see what she (the keg) gives you. I'll pull the pin for less than a second just to be sure there is pressure building up throughout the days of fermenting. This is due to too many experiences with flat beer that I thought was carb'ed. More like reassuring myself that she's carb'ed. The loud "PSHH" and the force of air is a great feeling, too.

I wouldn't release pressure. This stuff's gonna help dispense your brew. Also, CO2 cartridge seems like a tight idea. Excuse my language. You may not even need it though!

What's this hop sack thing? I was thinking it may be better to just purposefully suck those (if pelletized) hops right out of your keg when tapping. This is only if you know the hop sack won't clog. Man now I'm rambling. Is it like a muslin bag?
Yeah the hops go into a bag made from cheese cloth that i would boil and sanitize (potentially). The co2 cartridge is a tailgate gun style. It will be necessary to push the beer out. How do you do it with out co2?
__________________
basilchef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #10
GSul
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: East Haven, CT
Posts: 43
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Sounds good. Sometimes I've gotten a beer carbonated well and it is able to dispense itself after chilling. Anyways, I've seen those injectors and they seem cool!

__________________
GSul is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Naturally Carbonating in Keg Soviet Bottling/Kegging 33 07-27-2014 06:01 PM
Off Flavors when carbonating naturally Fermentalist Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 06-14-2011 08:56 PM
Do you refrigerate the keg when naturally carbonating? RyanSweeney Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 02-28-2011 07:14 PM
Naturally carbonating keg question gerbache Bottling/Kegging 1 09-16-2009 03:40 AM
Naturally carbonating theonecynic Bottling/Kegging 2 03-30-2009 03:11 PM