Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry hopping mystery bubbles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
etisdale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry hopping mystery bubbles

Hi, All. I am currently dry hopping (w/ oak chips) a beer and have noticed an increase in "activity."

Not sure what that "activity" is as I had pretty much hit my final gravity (1.014) by the time I transferred to the secondary fermenter.

For the first week or so, there was some bubbling, but nothing that really concerned me. I thought that the bubbles were due to trapped air or something.

Tomorrow will be the 14th day in the secondary and the bubble rate has certainly picked up (see pic below). Any thoughts on what is going on? Is it the hops? Is it the oak chips?

I was planning on bottling today, but I am now hesitant. Thanks!

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8554/dsc00647t.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2mh94sp.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Just a tad of fermentation activity possibly, mixed with off gassing as the dry hops settled to the bottom, pushing up any o2 and co2 that might be present. Nothing to worry about whatsoever.

Remember, bubbling or not bublling really means little.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
etisdale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Just a tad of fermentation activity possibly, mixed with off gassing as the dry hops settled to the bottom, pushing up any o2 and co2 that might be present. Nothing to worry about whatsoever.

Remember, bubbling or not bublling really means little.
Thanks for the reply. I just jostled the carboy a bit and a bunch of bubbles released. Likely a sign of off-gassing as you suggest.

I suppose transferring the beer to a bottling bucket and getting the beer off the hops will stop the off-gassing activity so I can prime and bottle. Or should I wait for the off-gassing to stop? I certainly don't want any exploding bottles, and I really don't want the beer to sit on the hops any longer than it already has (14 days). I've read that 10-14 days is quite enough. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisdale View Post
Thanks for the reply. I just jostled the carboy a bit and a bunch of bubbles released. Likely a sign of off-gassing as you suggest.

I suppose transferring the beer to a bottling bucket and getting the beer off the hops will stop the off-gassing activity so I can prime and bottle. Or should I wait for the off-gassing to stop? I certainly don't want any exploding bottles, and I really don't want the beer to sit on the hops any longer than it already has (14 days). I've read that 10-14 days is quite enough. Thanks.
The off gassing like any bubbling means nothing. If it's time to bottle it's time to bottle. You hit your final graivty already, so it's fine.

I don't dry hop beyond 2 weeks either.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply