dry hopping in keg cause haziness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsey

Reaction score
Anyone experienced haziness-cloudiness caused by this technique? Beer was clear then turned very cloudy after dry hopping in keg.

I secondary in kegs now for convenience.that being said, I dry hop in my kegs (2-4oz) and then when finished I cold crash for a few days, drop in some gelatin, let sit for another few days then transfer to another keg. End up with crystal clear beers

image-131826265.jpg

image-2415293918.jpg

What's the gelatin method? I'd like to try that on my next dry hopped beer. How much, and in what form?

Go to the baking aisle at your local store and get some gelatin packets. I take a pyrex container and put about a cup of water in and stir the gelatin in. Put it in the microwave and heat until the solution runs clear. Pour that into the the secondary vessel and continue to cold crash for 2-3 days (I know that I didnt boil the water/gelatin solution but I have never ran into an infection with this process on 20+ beers). Rack beer to serving keg and carb. One thing I have noticed is that this can take away some aroma. So you can compensate with an extra ounce of hops if you like. Find what works for you. Good luck!

Dry hopped beers are hazy because of the hop oils released. Water & Oil don't mix.....

Dry hopped beers are hazy because of the hop oils released. Water & Oil don't mix.....

I have to agree with this.
Every time I dry hop, I expect to add at least a little haze.
For me, cold crashing doesn't help hop haze because the oils don't really drop.

My reasoning behind this is more than I have time to type right now, but if you are still having issues, try dry hopping with whole leaf hops and see if that helps.

I secondary in kegs now for convenience.that being said, I dry hop in my kegs (2-4oz) and then when finished I cold crash for a few days, drop in some gelatin, let sit for another few days then transfer to another keg. End up with crystal clear beers

I might have to start using gelatin then. Cheers.:tank:

sudsey said:
The beer had already been chilled for a week or so before I dry hopped the keg. It had been clear before the hops. Strange

Dry hop with the beer warm. If it's cold, you will have trouble extracting the oils. Cold crash after the dry hop

Back