Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping-How Much?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
hophead81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Hopping-How Much?

I just brewed a Lagunitas IPA clone and plan on dry hopping with whole leaf Cascade hops in the next couple of weeks. My question is, should I use 1 or 2 oz of the whole leaf hops? The Cascade hops have a 7.5 AA if that makes a difference.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The recipe I was using and am about to keg says this for dry hop.

Dry hops: 21 g. Cascade, 21 g. Centennial for 5 days (brewer cold crashed and left in for 7 days)

Old 09-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

For dry hopping AA doesn't matter. I also prefer using several hops for dry hopping.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Bentpirate
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hophead81 View Post
I just brewed a Lagunitas IPA clone and plan on dry hopping with whole leaf Cascade hops in the next couple of weeks. My question is, should I use 1 or 2 oz of the whole leaf hops? The Cascade hops have a 7.5 AA if that makes a difference.
Just .02; use 1 oz. for 5 gallon especially if this is the first time you brewed it. If you like it, brew it again and add 1.5 - 2 oz. You are looking for aroma, you don't want the aroma to mask everything else. Little steps and enjoy it as you go.
I like to make 10 gallon batches, I dry hop one half and leave the other alone, looking for differences, like and don't likes.....

Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If you are kegging go with the 1 oz and then add more if needed after a week. If bottling I'd just do the 1 oz to start.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
piteko
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree with samc, if you are bottling try 1 oz, it's enough to get a good aroma (especially if you used aroma hops in your batch too). If you like the particular aroma that dryhopping leaves and you want more, you can raise on the next batch.

For the dryhopping blends, I suggest to start with single hops, understand their aroma and then eventually mix in successive beers. Mixing is very engaging and nice and if you do it you can obtain incredible aromas, but if you do it "blindly" you won't be able to distinct what hop gave you a particular good feeling and so on...

Cheers from Italy
piteko

see -> http://www.piteko.com
read -> http://piteko.blogspot.com

Bentpirate Likes This 
Old 09-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #7
headfullahops
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hophead81 View Post
As stated before, Alpha% isn't really a factor with dry hopping on a homebrew scale. I have dry hopped my pale ale with 1 and 2 ounce dry hop additions in the past. I like the hop forward aroma of the 2 ounce addition for that particular recipe. A few of things I've observed - 1 ounce dry hop has noticeably more hop aroma than no dry hop, 2 ounce dry hop has noticeably more hop aroma than 1 ounce, neither were "over the top", and both were at their peak for the first week in the keg; after that the aroma became progressively less pronounced.

Also, I've heard from dependable sources (Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer, among others) who state that dry hopping for more than 3-4 days can extract more of a vegetal raw hop aroma and flavor. Taking that and that I don't do a secondary transfer unless I am dry hopping into account, I do and suggest waiting until 3-4 days before you plan to package your brew for consumption to transfer onto dry hops.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:34 AM   #8
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

In my experience 1oz is a little week for an IPA/Pale ale I would like to see 2-3 oz per 5 gallons.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 09-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
piteko
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy View Post
In my experience 1oz is a little week for an IPA/Pale ale I would like to see 2-3 oz per 5 gallons.
In mine too, but dryhopping has a particular character that not anybody likes. That's why I voted up on taking a try with 1 oz first, especially if there are aroma hops in the batch too and he is going to bottle.

Cheers
piteko

see -> http://www.piteko.com
read -> http://piteko.blogspot.com

Old 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
headfullahops
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy View Post
I personally prefer the same, however, in my experience with Lagunitas IPA (which the OP is attempting to clone), I didn't notice a MASSIVE hop aroma, which I find a 2-3 ounce dry hop addition gives (at least in my brauhaus). It seemed fairly balanced; maybe a little floral hop aroma in he mix there.

It may be a factor that I'm in Michigan and the beer has to come from SoCal and who knows how it was treated on it's transcontinental journey. I never thought that Lagunitas IPA was much of an IPA. It seemed to me to be more of a West Coast style red/amber ale. Again, I don't know if there is and aging factor where the bitterness and aroma have diminished before I consumed it and the folks in SoCal are drinking a different beer than I am or not.

Quick Reply