Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping......how to clarify?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
FPM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Hopping......how to clarify?

Hi all!

My pale ale is about a week away from transfering form my secondary to my keg. I took a peak today and noticed that the hops are still floating on the top. This is my first expirence with dry hopping, so when I did that I figured that the hops would get saturated with water and eventually settle to the bottom. But with only a week left, it doesn't look like thats going to happen. Do i need to do something special to filter the hop leaves? Cold condition? Or something else?

Thanks!
Frank

Primary: Empty
Secondary A: Pale Ale
Secondary B: Extra Stout
Bottled: Amber Ale #1
Next Up: Blueberry Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I read on here a while ago and someone said to give the carboy a few gentle shakes. i just dryhopped for the first time and i had the same issue. A few shakes every other day got most of the hops to the bottom. I am going to wrap cheese cloth or something around my racking cane when i transfer to bottle to get rid of the few remaining hops.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 03-04-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Cold conditioning, along with some gelatin, work like a charm. You will have crystal clear beer. Also, be very gentle when syphoning.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
Jared311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What kind of hops did you use (pellet, whole leaf, or plug) and did you use a muslin bag? It sounds like you may have used whole leaf or plug hops. My preferred method for dry hopping is placing pellet hops in a muslin bag and laying it on the bottom of the secondary and then rack the beer over it. This will help dissolve the pellets and spread them out as the beer flowing in creates currents. The remaining sediment of the pellet hops will form into a ball of sludge and remain inside the muslin bag. Any sediment that escapes the muslin bag should eventually sink to the bottom if you allow for around a week of dry hopping. If your hops don't eventually settle to the bottom I would just go ahead and rack the beer to your keg. My first guess is that they won't affect the flow at first because the cane will be at the bottom while they are still floating at the top. The only problem I could see happening is when the beer level reaches just above the yeast sediment at the bottom. You could potentially waste more beer to prevent that last bit hop sediment from racking over.

Sláinte,
Jared311

Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

don't expect leaf hops to settle. some of it will, but most won't. some sort of bag over the end of the racking cane is the way to go. i wouldn't worry about getting the beer to clear after dry hopping. cold conditioning alone won't be enough, and isinglass/gelatin will likely strip away a lot of the flavor and aroma you just added.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I dry hop using pellot hops in the primary after 7-10 days and there is no need for a secondary and no floating hops. I wait another 10 days and after the 10 days are up everything is on the bottom of the carboy. I then pressure transfer right into the keg without moving the carboy so I don't disturb the sediment by using the orange carboy caps and a stainless racking cane and adding co2 pressure to the carboy (3 LB max). This is much less work than many other methods as I do not lift the carboy and move it to a higher position to enable a siphon to be used.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 03-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 24

80% of the leaf hops will not sink. I transfer as WBC does but I put a Sure Screen over my racking cane to keep the gunk out of the keg...

Old 03-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
Surfman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I rubberbanded a piece of sanitized cheese cloth to the end of the tubing attached to my racking cane(the end that goes in the keg) and it worked great. just make like a little "bag" out of the cheesecloth so there is room for the hop particles to collects.

Primary: Cider

Primary #2: Amber

Secondary :

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, Beesley's Barley Wine Ale, Berlinerweiss, Funkhouse

Kegged: O'Kellets Irish Stout, Caribou Slobber, Amarillo Pale Ale

Old 03-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
uwmgdman

Recipes 

What I found works best for me is to dry hop in the primary when the krausen has fallen and most activity has subsided. An extra 7 or 14 days in the primary with the dry hops won't hurt anything. After the dry hops are in the beer for the 5-14 days (however long I want), I rack to a secondary, let it sit for another week or so and then bottle. You should have very little hop debris in your bottles.

I tried this method because I was getting a bit more hop debris in my bottles than I would have preferred and have used it since when dry hopping.

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Old 03-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
FPM
Recipes 

Im going to try the cold condition mixed with using a cheese cloth on my racking cane. I've heard of using the muslin bag before, but somewhere on byo.com it suggested not using a muslin bag because the hops wont be exposed to the wort on the scale of simply dumping the pellets in (which is why I tried it). Should I start cold conditioning now or wait till Im ready to siphon over to my keg?

Also, someone mentioned using gelatin. How does that work?

Thanks!
Frank

Primary: Empty
Secondary A: Pale Ale
Secondary B: Extra Stout
Bottled: Amber Ale #1
Next Up: Blueberry Wheat

Quick Reply