New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry hopping with home gorwn hops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Dry hopping with home gorwn hops

I've dry hopped beers with store bought pellets a few times with no extra prep aside from opening the baggy and dropping them in there. They typically come from vacuum sealed bags.

We have some Chinook that was ready before we were, and we haven't gotten a vacuum sealer yet. They are sitting in the dehydrated and are about done. Is there any extra prep needed to add these to some mild we have clearing right now? Do they need to be sanitized at all?

Probably a dumb question, but I figured I'd ask. Also I know Chinook probably isn't the best hop to dry hop with, but I'd rather not throw them out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've kept homegrown hops in great shape for a couple years by putting them in zip lock freezer bags, sucking the air out and storing them in the freezer. You may not have to use them right away while you wait for your vaccuum sealer.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
aphid_rancher
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just toss em in!
When you get a vacuum sealer you will most likely want to get Oxygen barrier bags as well. I have dry hopped a few things in our freezer, (ice cream bars, almonds I put in granola, cake, breaded fish and chicken...).

Old 07-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Davey_Boi
Recipes 

Was just listening to jamil in the brew strong podcast on dry hopping today. His comment was that all plants r covered in wild yeast so I would want to dunk them in boiling water for a few mins at least. This is for fresh hops only. Maybe the dehydrating process would kill the wild yeast although I'm not sure on this.

Check out the podcast dated 12-08-08 in the second hour, somewhere around 1:20

Old 07-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Chinook can be a nice dry hop depending on what you're looking for. I'd do a little more research as suggested for the homegrown hops. Usually I'd say just chuck them in.

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Quick Reply