HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry hopping in a glass carboy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Dry hopping in a glass carboy.

Sorry if I am asking a question that has been addressed previously, but I got tired searching the nearly endless posts without finding an answer.
I am currently dry hopping in my secondary glass carboy using a 6" x 8" hop bag and whole leaf hops. I placed a 1/2" SS coupling in the bag to help keep it submerged and 1.5oz of hops. I tied a small nylon string around the top of the bag then ran the other end through a small hole I drilled in the bottom of the airlock.
Getting the bag into the neck of the carboy took a little finesse, but overall went in OK. A while later, I looked to make sure all was well and noticed the hops had swollen the bag nearly full. I am now thinking I did a no-no! After secondary is complete, I can siphon as normal to my bottling bucket, no prob. But getting the hops and bag out without damaging the bag is going to a bear to say the least!
How are the rest of you guys dry hopping in glass carboys, or am I the only dufus trying to do this? I bottle right now, so dry hopping in a fat-mouthed corney is not one of my options.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just throw the hops up in there. When syphoning off, wrap a hop bag around the bottom of your racking cane so as to avoid syphoning the hops (thanks Biermuncher). If I had the link on hand I would supply it.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 08-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Found it. Hope this helps.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 08-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Brewmando
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually the bag is easier to get out than it is to get it in. It gets a bit slimey and that aids in it sliding out. I too no longer use a bag though after discovering I get a more robust hop flavor without them. I just chuck them right in. When I rack to the bottling bucket I sanitize a cutting of bag material in boiling water, sanitize a rubberband and place that over the end of my siphon. To get the hops out I use my garden hose to blast the material free of the carboy. If something does remain behind I fill the carboy with a bleach water solution and let soak.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

COOL! Thanks guys. I knew there must be a better way that someone had already come up with. I was wondering about the hop flavor coming out from the bag also, so I got an unasked question answered. Now THAT'S help. HBT RULES!

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 08-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
foppa78

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Muslin bags are cheap and great for dry hopping. I throw them away each time so I dont care if I damage them when trying to take them out.

Quick Reply