Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping for dummies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii

A) up to you but there are some tried and true combinations out there. It should complement the hops used in the flavoring position or later in the boil. I believe that dryhop " normality" lies within American hop varieties pretty much exclusively although there are certainly exceptions.
B) depends on the body IMO. Higher FG = more dry hops = more balanced result. Usually dry hops start around 1 oz per 5 gallons and people go crazy from there. I've seen IIPAs with as many as 7 oz in a 5 gallon batch
C)agitation is not needed. As long as you get them wet, it's working. Usually they'll do this on there own regardless of how you do it but if your tossing loose whole hops or plugs in, I'd give it a little extra time to get wet.

Ive heard Jon Palmer say if you dry hop on top of yeast ( in the primary) you might as well be throwing them away. Therefore; I will wait for the ferm to complete and then rack into a secondary with the hops in it.

The idea is that co2 bubbles produced by the yeast ( even in a ferm that is " complete") will strip the hop aroma esters from the beer. This is also a good reason to NOT agitate the beer once the dry hops are introduced.
Matt Cole of Fatheads

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #12
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii

A) up to you but there are some tried and true combinations out there. It should complement the hops used in the flavoring position or later in the boil. I believe that dryhop " normality" lies within American hop varieties pretty much exclusively although there are certainly exceptions.
B) depends on the body IMO. Higher FG = more dry hops = more balanced result. Usually dry hops start around 1 oz per 5 gallons and people go crazy from there. I've seen IIPAs with as many as 7 oz in a 5 gallon batch
C)agitation is not needed. As long as you get them wet, it's working. Usually they'll do this on there own regardless of how you do it but if your tossing loose whole hops or plugs in, I'd give it a little extra time to get wet.

Ive heard Jon Palmer say if you dry hop on top of yeast ( in the primary) you might as well be throwing them away. Therefore; I will wait for the ferm to complete and then rack into a secondary with the hops in it.

The idea is that co2 bubbles produced by the yeast ( even in a ferm that is " complete") will strip the hop aroma esters from the beer. This is also a good reason to NOT agitate the beer once the dry hops are introduced.
Matt Cole of Fatheads Brewery OTOH recommends dry hopping at 60-75% fermentation in order to drive off any O2 introduced by the hops. More than one way to peel an orange, I guess

Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 579 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdrum View Post
Matt Cole of Fatheads Brewery OTOH recommends dry hopping at 60-75% fermentation in order to drive off any O2 introduced by the hops. More than one way to peel an orange, I guess
Even at final gravity, beer will continue to produce trace amounts of CO2 sufficient to displace any oxygen. And while at a micro or commercial level, dumping in buckets of hops to a giant conical may agitate the beer enough to introduce O2, sprinkling on an ounce or two into your carboy probably will not prove an oxidation risk.

I always wait until final gravity before introducing dry hops.

Quick Reply