Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > dry hopping in the bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
r8rphan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default dry hopping in the bottle

Anyone ever tried dropping a hop cone in the bottle when bottling?

I'm thinking it might require straining when pouring, and you couldn't store it 'too' long before drinking.. but I was just wondering if anyone ever tried it and what the results were...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

I haven't tried it but I would be suspicious since people have reported a grassy flavor when dry hopping too long. At the same time, I visited a brewery that puts a hop bag into every keg of their IPA that stays there until the keg is emptied and returned. Why not try it with a limited number of bottles of your next batch and see what the results are. Make sure you leave some for a couple months so you see how they age and then report back on your findings.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

This is one of those questions that someone asks about this at least once a month.....In fact there's 4 threads in the similar threads box below.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
VonRunkel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I dry hopped a RyePA in the bottle. You are right, you dont want to let it sit too long or you will get those weird flavors, but a short term hopping is just fine. The cones are a bit annoying when it comes time to pour and imbibe, but the flavor is really pronounced.

I would also recommend throwing a cone into your glass before you pour, it adds a unique depth to the beer.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
r8rphan
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonRunkel View Post
I dry hopped a RyePA in the bottle. You are right, you dont want to let it sit too long or you will get those weird flavors, but a short term hopping is just fine. The cones are a bit annoying when it comes time to pour and imbibe, but the flavor is really pronounced.

I would also recommend throwing a cone into your glass before you pour, it adds a unique depth to the beer.
After perusing a couple other threads, it doesn't sound like a good idea in the bottle... I was after the aroma as well as the flavor/finish... why I was thinking about the bottle....

But in the glass is an idea I hadn't thought of.. I sometimes use a hops randall, and that works good, but doesn't give the 'aroma' I'm after... Then again, I've never tried bottling through the randall.. might try that...

Definitely gonna try the in the glass method.. thanks for the tip...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Quick Reply