Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping - anybody use tea balls/infusers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default Dry Hopping - anybody use tea balls/infusers?

No matter how carefull I am with racking, it seems that in my dry hopped beers, I always get some sediment in my bottles. I dry hop simply by throwing the pellets in and letting them settle. My last batch I waited 3 weeks for the hops to settle and they really never did. Regardless, I got a ton of hops in my bottles. Dry hopped in the bottle i guess!

So my frustration just led me to order up two 4 inch stainless steel tea balls and I already have two 2 inchers. I am thinking that the combination of these four infusers should allow adequate space to use up to two ounces of pellets, allowing for expansion.

Does anybody have any experience using these for dry hopping?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Hilbert
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i haven't used those although I have looked at them. I usually sanitize a muslin bag and dry hop with them. It works for me athought they can be tricky to get out when cleaning the carboy. I usually flip it upside down and cut open the hop bag.

Tap 4: Heffe

Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
permo
Recipes 

I ferment in a 9 gallon fermenter with 12 inch lid, not a problem removing or adding large items from/to the fermenter!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I dryhop with pellets straight naked into the carboy all the time. 7 day dryhop then 2 day cold crash then gelatin for 3 days. Use a sanitized 1 gallon paint strainer bag over the suction end of your racking cane to help keep any rogue hop bits out.

Next: Heavy Hopper v2
Fermenting: RIS, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 06-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
I dryhop with pellets straight naked into the carboy all the time. 7 day dryhop then 2 day cold crash then gelatin for 3 days. Use a sanitized 1 gallon paint strainer bag over the suction end of your racking cane to help keep any rogue hop bits out.
Man, wouldn't a hop bag or infusion balls be a lot easier?

Old 06-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
dstar26t
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I cold crash and gelatin on beers that don't get dryhopped too, depending on yeast strain.

Fermenting: RIS, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS

Old 06-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
eggraid101
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used three 2-inch balls to dry hop my last brew; It was an easy way to keep the hops out of the brew; I put about .33 oz in each ball; the hops really absorb a lot of brew and the balls were full of soaked hops. The first tasting was good, I'll do the same thing again. I switched to this method after having a similar experience to yours with hops in the bottles.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
dstar26t
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I used to use these to dry hop but they only fit 1 oz of pellets and don't work as well as just dumping the pellets in.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I sanitized a new nylon stocking and zip tied it to my racking cane in the batch I just finished.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
bentonre
Recipes 

I've used them in my cornies for dry hopping. I attach a wine cork to the chain to keep them suspended in the beer and make them easier to pull out.

Quick Reply