Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
abbysdad2006
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Dry hopping

Is there a need to sanitize a hop bag for dry hopping? If so, how do I do it. Thanks

"Buy a man a six-pack, he drinks for a day. Teach him to brew, he drinks all his life"
"For life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Hoppiness"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Yes you should. Stick it in a bucket of sanitizer solution.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
tcory77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

+1

I would just soak it in a star-San solution and add the hops if that is the route you are going. Or you could do what I do (and quite a few others around here) and just toss the hops in an let them be free. Just personal preference.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
abbysdad2006
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcory77 View Post
+1

I would just soak it in a star-San solution and add the hops if that is the route you are going. Or you could do what I do (and quite a few others around here) and just toss the hops in an let them be free. Just personal preference.
I thought about doing that also, but would the hops go into the siphon when I siphon it to bottling bucket? I don't have a strainer.

"Buy a man a six-pack, he drinks for a day. Teach him to brew, he drinks all his life"
"For life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Hoppiness"

Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Dunking the bag in Star San is good enough. If you use a bag, your hops will float even if they are pellets (pellets usually sink after a few days, whereas whole hops will always float) unless you weigh them down with sanitized marbles or something.

(Note that it is highly debatable whether this matters, some people prefer them to sink and some people don't care what they do)

If you just throw pellets in they will sink and you can just rack away from them like a yeast cake - typically you can just avoid the them if you brewed enough beer to account for volume loss to the hops. If you used whole hops or if the pellets clog the siphon, tie the bag you were going to use to contain the hops around the inlet area of the siphon.

Quick Reply