Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Techniques (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/)
-   -   Dry hopping ?? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/dry-hopping-11590/)

Daznz 07-27-2006 03:27 AM

Dry hopping ??
 
Hi ya

Im all a bit new to dry hopping im looking at using 3 hop varietys. do you
guys think if i used 1oz of each variety in 5gal batch would that be to much.
cheers Daza

Prost! 07-27-2006 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daznz
Hi ya

Im all a bit new to dry hopping im looking at using 3 hop varietys. do you
guys think if i used 1oz of each variety in 5gal batch would that be to much.
cheers Daza

I don't think you can have too many hops, especially when dry hopping. Depends on the style of brew and personal taste. I use 4 ozs of pellets in my IPAs, but I'm a confirmed hophead.

Prost! 07-27-2006 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daznz
Hi ya

Im all a bit new to dry hopping im looking at using 3 hop varietys. do you
guys think if i used 1oz of each variety in 5gal batch would that be to much.
cheers Daza

Followup question: When you say 3 ozs of hops, do you mean pellets or whole leaf? If whole leaf hops, you can dry hop with huge amounts and not ruin the beer.

brewhead 07-27-2006 03:51 AM

i disagree with the notion that somehow whole hops deliver any more ibu than that of pellets.

furthermore - in regards to ruining the beer, what's to ruin?

the only thing you're going to get out of dry hopping is aroma.

Brew-boy 07-27-2006 03:55 AM

I tried my first dry hop on this batch. I threw an ounce of fuggels pellets to mt cream ale and gonna see what happens. Seems like it take almost 2 weeks for all the pellets to drop. I hope it has good aroma.

Prost! 07-27-2006 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewhead
i disagree with the notion that somehow whole hops deliver any more ibu than that of pellets.

furthermore - in regards to ruining the beer, what's to ruin?

the only thing you're going to get out of dry hopping is aroma.

I think your disagreement is really agreement. I'm saying an oz of whole leaf hops will be less potent than an oz of pellets.

budbo 07-27-2006 04:22 AM

Quote:

i disagree with the notion that somehow whole hops deliver any more ibu than that of pellets.
probably because pellets deliver more, so they say

the_bird 07-27-2006 04:37 AM

Any tips on dry hopping methodology? Got an IPA to dryhop this weekend, going to get some whole hops. Should I use a hop bag? Do I have to do anything to them beforehand, or can they be presumed sterile-enough to add directly? Drop them on top after I've racked, or add them to the carboy, then rack on top of them? Any tips?

DesertBrew 07-27-2006 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_bird
Any tips on dry hopping methodology? Got an IPA to dryhop this weekend, going to get some whole hops. Should I use a hop bag? Do I have to do anything to them beforehand, or can they be presumed sterile-enough to add directly? Drop them on top after I've racked, or add them to the carboy, then rack on top of them? Any tips?

Don't use a hop bag in a carboy that'd be hell to get it out. Just toss them in before racking. They'll float on the top throughout. Assumption of sterile is correct; or at least that you don't need to worry about them contaminating your beer.

tips - no more than 2 weeks with dry hopping.

My personal opinion is more is not necessarily better. I did an IPA with 2oz dry hop and another with 1oz. I can't tell the difference.

To get them out of a carboy after transfering to bucket/keg. Keep adding some water, and shake them out. No problem getting them out this way. They'll clog the plumbing if your not careful; even with the garbage disposal. I deliver this knowledge through experience :o.

Prost! 07-27-2006 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_bird
Any tips on dry hopping methodology? Got an IPA to dryhop this weekend, going to get some whole hops. Should I use a hop bag? Do I have to do anything to them beforehand, or can they be presumed sterile-enough to add directly? Drop them on top after I've racked, or add them to the carboy, then rack on top of them? Any tips?

I've never had a problem just throwing pellets right from the vacuum packet on top of the brew after I've racked to secondary. I don't use whole hops, but I know some people steam them beforehand to kill any nasties.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:51 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.