The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry hopped pellets won't sink

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
griffondg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Dry hopped pellets won't sink

So I dy hopped my Janet's Brown Ale 2 weeks ago and there are STILL pellets floating on top. I'd say about 75% have sunk to the bottom but the others junk don't want to sink. I'd love to bottle this weekend so as to free up my primary for the AHS Pliny clone I want to brew. I have a secondary fermentor available, but since I started brewing in earnest last year I've only used a primary. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffondg View Post
So I dy hopped my Janet's Brown Ale 2 weeks ago and there are STILL pellets floating on top. I'd say about 75% have sunk to the bottom but the others junk don't want to sink. I'd love to bottle this weekend so as to free up my primary for the AHS Pliny clone I want to brew. I have a secondary fermentor available, but since I started brewing in earnest last year I've only used a primary. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Eric
I would bottle it. I don't like to dry hop for more than 7-10 days.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I agree with that "guy" Yooper. I'd just bottle it. I don't think there will be any problem.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-19-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
griffondg
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Thanks. I wanted to bottle last weekend which would have put it at 10 days but I was worried about getting all that hop material in the bottling bucket. If I was kegging I wouldn't care because it would settle but since I bottle I was concerned about clarity. Guess I'll just go for it this weekend.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

get it cold if you can. that will help them drop out.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 03-19-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

If you wait until they fall out, you might wait until christmas! Sometimes hops just don't fall to the bottom. It doesn't matter, though. You can rack from the middle, dropping the racking cane as the volume goes down. Eventually, the top will meet the bottom and you can stop siphoning. It's easy, and you won't have many hop pellets that make it into the bottling bucket.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
binaryvisions
Recipes 

You can also filter the hop material out with a fine-meshed bag of some kind. This thread, just a couple links down, has some suggestions including my own recent experience:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/prob...rategy-168525/

It'll get the majority of the hop material.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I put my dry hops in a 5gal paint strainer bag with a couple of shot glasses for weight. Works for me and easy cleanup!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If your carboy/bucket is not sitting where it will be when you rack to the bottling bucket, I would suggest moving it as much ahead of time as you can while still keeping it out of sunlight. Especially if you're not going to strain. I had a similar thing going on and as soon as I picked up my carboy and started walking the movement of the liquid pulled all the hop flakes into the beer. Fortunately I was a few hours away from when I really wanted to bottle, so they mostly settled out before I bottled, but I've still had a hop flake in one or two of the sixish bottles I've opened so far, and I'd hate to think about how many would be in each bottle had I not had time to wait.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
johnnybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

This is an old post, but I was thinking of an idea related to racking a dry-hopped 2ndry. How about putting a muslin bag, or the like, at the end of the racking tube that is in the bottling bucket? You could sanitize the bag and a small zip tie in Star San, then affix the bag to the tube end with the zip tie. Voila! Strains out any hops that get sucked up by your racking cane! What do people think?

See my Corny Keg Chilling Insulator

Quick Reply