Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hop Testing with Bud Light

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Holy_Hops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Dry Hop Testing with Bud Light

Just stumbled on this via reddit's /r/beer this afternoon. What a fantastic idea.
Sorry if this is a re-post, but I thought that this was too good not to share...

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/03...light.html?m=1

Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

This is the blog of a member here, Scottland, who does some great write-ups on IPA clones and general techniques. I actually did it myself with some Michelob Ultra last night. It's definitely really informative, especially if you're like me and hops just smell...uhhh..."hoppy" out of the bag.

392821_10100953750523214_351359536_n.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did this at my last club meeting after hearing the Anchor interview. I did mine a little different. I ordered small, fillable tea bags off Amazon and stuffed the hops into them before stuffing into the beer. That way I was able to use pellets or whole hops and I wasn't pouring hop gunk. I put the bottles into the freezer for 30 minutes prior to uncapping and hopping to try to cut down on the chance of foaming over when dropping the hops in. Also, I ended up using Amstel light...I was worried about trying to re-seal the twist off Bud Light caps. I think BL would have been better (less taste and aroma) as Amstel Light did not pair real well with some of the hops.

It worked out well, but I only gave it ~ 1 week before the meeting. I would leave it at least 2 to make sure you get good hop aroma infused.

One other note, the beer did foam quite a bit when we opened them. and some bottles it was hard to pull the tea bags back out, so we just poured them anyway...the bags did an excellent job of keeping hops stuff out of the beer.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

second post I've seen about this today

Kegged empty

Old 03-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
CloverBrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

two things. I just stopped by a local nano brewery yesterday and saw they had Mikkeller's single hop IPA, but all of them in one box. I think there was 20 different bottles in all. if you are interested in this Mikkeller IPA set. they are for sale. i'm not affiliated with the brewery but I will support them. PM me if you are in the waterloo iowa area and are interested. 2nd I just bought 15 different 4oz hop bags from farmhouse brew supply to test different hop types. this is how I will do it for sure. do you get both flavor and aroma from this technique? or just aroma? is there any bittering from the hops using this technique?

Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Holy_Hops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloverBrew View Post
do you get both flavor and aroma from this technique? or just aroma? is there any bittering from the hops using this technique?
That's what I was wondering, too. I've seen the debate in forums and such about what "bitter" quality you actually get from dry hopping (take this BYO article, for example).

Part of the reason I'm going to try this experiment is to see for myself what flavor and aroma characteristics the dry hops would impart to the beer specifically that you can't get from flavor/aroma additions to the boil.

It's one thing to read what others say, but it's another to taste it for yourself!

Old 03-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #7
CloverBrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Agreed. Does anyone disagree with using bud light. Or is there a milder "neutral" brew that may lend as a better palette

Old 03-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Joakgust
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am planning to conduct this experiment as well and have come to the conclusion after testing and comparing several beers that Samuel Adams Boston lager to be a good if not better candidate rather than bud light

Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
MagicSmoker
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I'm conducting this experiment, too, but I am using Michelob Ultra instead of BL. I only had 4 different hops on hand so that's all I'm testing for now. I added 1.5g each of Centennial, Nelson Sauvin, Simcoe and Falconer's Flight 7c's to 4 separate bottles yesterday, recapped then gently rocked each bottle to get the pellets to break up and dissolve. I'm keeping the bottles at room temp for 3 days then I'll rapidly chill them in a bucket of ice water to - hopefully - crash out the hops.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloverBrew View Post
Agreed. Does anyone disagree with using bud light. Or is there a milder "neutral" brew that may lend as a better palette
Bud Light, Coors Light, Michelob Ultra. Reason being that these are very bland beers with no distinctive flavors or aromas.

Quick Reply