Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > dry hop technique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
kfgolfer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default dry hop technique

I didn't get much action on this in the beg. thread so I'll try here. I dry hopped for the first time and I don't think I like it. #1 I didn't use a bag so now I have a film of hops on top and it will never go away!! will they get in my bottles? will my beer clear properly? can I put a strainer in my bottling bucket to get rid of it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If you're using a racking cane, you can just cover the end with a bit of stainless screen and it wil filter out any hop leaves. I only dry hopped once, and that's how I did it.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Old 12-30-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
kfgolfer
Recipes 

well, I don't have one of those and unfortunately,I used pellets... They are just sitting on top. I'll never do this again.. I hope this batch isn't ruined. I guess I will just lay a funnel with a strainer in it in the bottom of the bottling bucket and try to catch as much as I can to make sure my bottled brew is clear... live and learn I gues..

Old 12-30-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Relax, don't worry!

When you rack to the bottling bucket, the tip of the cane is going to be below the surface, where all the hop debris is floating. Just stop siphoning beer into the bucket before that level gets to the end of the racking cane.

Do you have one of those little black tips for the cane? They do a good job (not perfect) in keeping debris out, as well.

What you do NOT want to do is strain the beer as it exits - you'll aerate it and it will go stale on you quickly. A careful racking, not getting too greedy with the transfer, and you'll be fine.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
Brewiz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Relax, don't worry!

When you rack to the bottling bucket, the tip of the cane is going to be below the surface, where all the hop debris is floating. Just stop siphoning beer into the bucket before that level gets to the end of the racking cane.

Do you have one of those little black tips for the cane? They do a good job (not perfect) in keeping debris out, as well.

What you do NOT want to do is strain the beer as it exits - you'll aerate it and it will go stale on you quickly. A careful racking, not getting too greedy with the transfer, and you'll be fine.
Ditto what Bird said plus what little bit of hop stuff that gets in there will not hurt anything, you can now call it a true unfiltered beer. One of my favorite brews comes from one of our locals and they dry hop and bottle it after it's filtered and that little bit of hop debris just adds to the character of the beer.

Just go for it and never be afraid to dry hop, which what I am about to go do right now.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....

Recipes 

A stainless screen will help with the pellets as well. As per previous posts, most of the debris will be on top, but some of it will have settled. If you have a hardware store nearby, go there and ask them for a lint screen for a washing machine drain hose. They are normally stainless, but nylon will work also. Double it up and attach it to your cane with a small hose clamp, zip-tie or even a twist tie if you're in a pinch. Of, if you have a lady of the house who might not miss a pair of pantyhose, you could also use them as a screen. Don't give up on dry-hopping, it's an excellent way to add character to your beer and it really isn't that much of an issue to deal with.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Quick Reply