Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > dry hop with cascade?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #11
barleyhole
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on Centennial. My father in law grows hops for me, and I had an oz left over from last fall that I hadn't used. Brewed a couple days ago, and decided that the Centennial had lost a lot of AA sitting in the fridge vacuum seal bag, so I used some week old Cascade instead for bittering...BUT, the point of this is that I put a handful of the Centennial right into a glass of my IPA and wow what an incredible aroma it had and really livened up the beer.

Sorry for the side track. I dry hopped this same IPA with 2 oz of Cascade...but again it was last years harvest so I'm thinking it could have been better with fresh hops. Pellets would be the next best thing, instead of 10 month old leaf hops.

Make it so!

Primary: S'more
Secondary: Doppelbock, DIPA
Barrel Aging: Flanders Red
Bottled: Ginger Mead, Scottish 80-/
Kegged: Belgian Golden Strong

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 AM   #12
j_dub4t
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just dry hopped a wheat-ipa with 2 oz cascade. I dont have temperature control either.

I would recommend rocking the keg a bit (without splashing) to drop them from the surface, but you will have to deal with some of them if you cant cold crash.

I used a sanitized moslin bag over the end of my siphon to keep hops out of my bottling bucket, but still had a hell of a time keeping it going. The flavor was def worth the effort, but unfortunately I lost a good bit of beer in the process. I will def keep the hops in a hop bag when dry hopping from here on out.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well I bottled them last night. For the past couple days I've been keeping a fresh jug of ice in my chamber next to the secondary. When I bottled, my floating thermometer said 14 degrees C. I hope that's not cold enough to cause my beer to be over-carbed. I'm not sure if the "coolish-crashing" helped, but all the hops were settled to a thin layer on the bottom. I left a bit of beer behind with the hops and very little made it into my bottling bucket. I'll have to wait another couple weeks to try the beer.

Quick Reply