New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Does a wort really need to rest before cooling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
sideshow_ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Does a wort really need to rest before cooling?

Hi all. I generally add a bag or two of spring-water ice to the wort right at the end of my boil, and then filter it through a sieve as I pour it into the carboy, mixing with cold water to reach pitching temperature. A number of books and websites seem to advocate letting the hot wort sit for 20-30 min before cooling it down (i.e. immersion chiller), or to slowly cool it down in a cold-water bath. I can see one reason being to let all the gunk settle to the bottom of the tun.
I'm curious if there is any other benefit to this long "rest," such as enhancing flavors, or if it can be skipped.

I searched around on this forum but didn't find such a thread. I am sorry if this is a duplicate.

Thanks! -ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 2150

You know, I noticed Sam Caglione recommended the same thing for most of the recipes in Extreme Brewing. Basically, turn off heat, whirlpool, let sit for 10 minutes, then cool. I imagine it has to do with the cold break, but i would think then you'd let it sit AFTER the cooling.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
BoogieBrandBooze
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From what I have read and heard you want to cool your wort as quickly as possible. The faster you cool it, the less time there is for DMS to form. The only advantage to "resting" might be to let hop matter and other particles suspended in the wort to settle out (helped by whirlpooling as mentioned by passedpawn). Otherwise, I believe cooling it to pitching temp ASAP is the way to go...

Old 06-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
You know, I noticed Sam Caglione recommended the same thing for most of the recipes in Extreme Brewing. Basically, turn off heat, whirlpool, let sit for 10 minutes, then cool. I imagine it has to do with the cold break, but i would think then you'd let it sit AFTER the cooling.
I can see letting it sit if you're whirlpooling and using a CFC to give it time for thw whirlppol to be effective before draining through a chiller.

I can also see letting it sit a bit if using a flameout hop addition. Other wise, for me at least, it's, cut flame, turn on chilling water, start draining.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
billc68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From what I have been reading you do want to cool it ASAP however letting it sit while still hot should be a non issue, 10-20 minutes just under boiling temp is still sterile.

I was just reading about pasteurising fruit jucies as I plan to juice my own plums this fall for wine. Food processing facilities heat the juice to 85C (185F) for 15 seconds and at home is it reccomended to heat to 70C (158F) for 1 minute. So if water boils at 100C (212F) (not sure about wort but it would be close) then surely sitting for 20 minutes will not get it below 70C (158F) unless it is really cold but then the contaminates would be dead if it was cold.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
eggbeater59
Recipes 

you can let it sit, if you like, but keep in mind that in certain hop schedules this will have a negative effect- ie your 15 minute hop addition suddenly became a 25 min because you let your hot wort sit after turning off the gas.
i would think that you wouldn't want to stir it when it's hot, due to the risk of hot side aeration...
i personally cool it asap with my ic, then whirlpool (well, i used to, now i have a hop strainer and ball valve). works perfectly.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 2150

I'd say letting it sit, hot, would produce a lot of DMS in the beer.

John Palmer says DMS is produced when the wort is over 170F, but it is removed even more quickly by the action of the boil. So, if your wort is over 170 and you are not boiling, that's bad.

This was in the DMS episode of the Brew Strong podcast.

Of course, I regurgitate what I've read/heard, without much personal proof.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow_ben View Post
A number of books and websites seem to advocate letting the hot wort sit for 20-30 min before cooling it down (i.e. immersion chiller), or to slowly cool it down in a cold-water bath.
I've never heard anybody advocating a "hot wort rest" before cooling. All the books I've ever read tell you to chill the wort down ASAP. I think you just simply misunderstood what they were saying.
That said, there is a growing movement amongst some home brewers who do not use any chilling methods, they simply let the wort sit and cool on it's own. That practise is a bit controversial though.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
oceanselv
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have always read the faster you cool the wort the clearer the beer will be. I would also question adding the ice directly to the hot wort. Ice is not very sanitary. Even though you are adding at a temperature which will kill bacteria there is the possibility you are adding other contaminates such as dirt or minerals to the wort which could effect the flavor of the beer.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I can see letting it sit if you're whirlpooling and using a CFC to give it time for thw whirlppol to be effective before draining through a chiller.
That's what I was thinking. The recipe creators are used to using a CFC or a plate chiller and going directly into the fermenter and are gearing their instructions toward that. That's the only way whirlpooling right after the boil would make any sense since if you were using a IC you'd end up stirring up your little whirlpool pile anyway.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply