Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Does a Wheat beer NEED a secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 06:09 AM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trrance
Does the idea of mixing up the yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle apply to all wheat beers?

I've never had a wheat beer. I have a batch of Belgian White just about ready to bottle and I bought a bottle of Hoegaarden to sample for comparison.

So I'm supposed to roll the bottles around a bit before opening, yes?
Yes, it applies to all wheat beers IF you want the yeast (which is good for you).

NO! DO NOT roll your bottle. Pour the beer in the glass first.

Take a glass and rinse it under cold water (inside). Hold the glass almost horizontal to the floor/table/counter/sink and slowly pour the beer down the side (inside). As the beer level gets higher (closer to the rim) slowly tilt your glass upright. When there's about 1/2 inch of beer left in the bottles give it a couple of shakes to stir up the yeast on the bottom and pour the remaining beer into the center of the foam (head). If it rises too quickly slow down your pour.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2006, 07:59 AM   #12
NEPABREWER

Recipes 

how do I get proportionaly correct ammount of yeast from this style when serving from a half-keg? We asked the beer dist to store in cooler upside down, we tap on saturday and dont drink again till next sat - do I need to roll the keg a bit por what?

Primary #1 too
Primary #2 busy
Secondary #1 with
Secondary#2 school
Secondary#3 to brew
Bottled and fine: Belgian spiced wheat
Bass Ale in the keg

Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 AM   #13
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You get HW from a keg? What kind?

I'd store it upright. Of course, German HW on tap always comes out cloudy.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:49 AM   #14
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I treat a wheat beer as any other brew. My mash methods are based on traditional German methods, not what I can get away with because it is a wheat. Some skip the irish moss in the boil because it's a wheat, I still adhere to the addition. I will skip a secondary based on gravity and fermentation properties, not because it is a wheat. I don't drink wheat beers young because it's wheat, I just don't have patience. They still get better with a little aging like any other ale. When it does come time to pour, I tend to deviate. I will agitate the sediment to suspend some yeast which it is known for, also seems to be the logic for altering normal brewing practices.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #15
abpt1
Recipes 

I shake too !

Lost in PA ....

Μολών Λαβέ

Quick Reply