Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Does S23 need a starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Beertk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Does S23 need a starter?

I am going to brew a lager tomorrow. Has anyone used the S-23 without a starter. I was thinking since it is a dry yeast it may do alright. I don't really have the time to make a starter at the moment and have it propigated by morning. If it is not a good idea maybe I will just do a house pale with nottinghams. anyway...

"I don't drink to find happiness. Coincidentally. I do enjoy listening to you much more after a beer or three."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Nope. No starter. At least, that's what I understand. I've never used S-23, but I've been talking to a lot of people about dry yeasts and listening quite a bit on this forum about them, and I can't recall anyone saying they needed a starter.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 01-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
Beertk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I know that's the case with the ales I was a little concerned with the lager yeast

"I don't drink to find happiness. Coincidentally. I do enjoy listening to you much more after a beer or three."

Old 01-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From what I understand about the way dry yeast (ale or lager) works, starters can actually be detrimental to their development, and thus your beer. All you need to do is rehydrate it so as to minimize the stress of the hydration process once it's pitched. Boil about a half-pint of water for 15 mins, cool it down below 90f and put it in a sanitized jar. Pitch the sachet into it, put the lid on, and swirl it around. Swirl again every 30 minutes or so until you can look through the bottom of the jar and not see any granules. Pour that whole deal into the wort.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nope, no starters with dry yeast. Even for lagers. Just be SURE to rehydrate properly. And depending on the volume and gravity of your brew, you might need to pitch more than one pouch. See the Pitching Rate Calculator at MrMalty.com to figure it out (don't forget to set the first switch from Ale to Lager).

Old 01-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Rehydrate with 90F water for 30 minutes, stir it up and then acclimate it to the wort temp by putting a small amount of the wort into the yeast slurry.

Just a word of warning, while I use S23 all the time and like it for the convenience, you have to pitch it into relatively cold wort, under 60F or you're going to get a lot of ale character. If you pitch between 50-60F, you'll get the clean lager character and you likely will not have to do a diacytel rest.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply