Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Does a high OG affect efficiency?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
missing link
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Does a high OG affect efficiency?

I brewed a clone of New Hollands Dragon's milk over the weekend. It had a target pre-boil gravity of 1.069. I entered all my info into beersmith with 75% as my efficiency which is pretty normal for my set-up.

We only got 1.053 pre-boil. I ended up heating 2 more gallons of water recircing through the grain, getting runnings of 1.016 and boiled that in a seperate pot. After almost an hour of boiling we hit our 1.069 added the hops and finished our brew. Hopefully it turns out well.

The week before I made a cream ale and hit over 80% efficiency so I had to dilute my pre-boil with 1 gallon of water to hit my numbers.

Does anybody else find that their efficiency goes down as the OG goes up?

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yes, it does go down a bit but if I had to guess it would be about 1% for every 5 points over 1.040.

So, for my typical 1.045 session beer where I get 90% efficiency, a 1.060 would get me 87%. It's difficult to isolate the effects of so many variables. You could have had a termperature issue, a different crush, different sparge technique?

The reason why you lose some efficiency is due to the smaller sparge water to grain ratio. You can combat this a bit by using a slightly stiffer mash 1qt/lb or so.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply