The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Does the bittering hop variety matter much?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Boek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Does the bittering hop variety matter much?

I know that the aa of the variety matters but besides that, what is the difference? If all the 60 min addition does is add bitterness can I just use whatever hop is lying around? Bitter is bitter right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Yes and no. Most hops will lose most of their flavor during the duration of the boil. Some hops, like Citra (I can personally assure you), will not.

The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tims-C...9089362?ref=hl

Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'd think you're right, bitter is bitter...mostly. Some bittering hops can leave some flavor, I've found, even on a 60 minute boil. But that's mostly only noticeable if your only hopping at 60 and it's a light colored beer, like a pils or something.

Overall yeah, you can find the highest AA hop and use half an ounce of it no matter the style, bittering accomplished!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4197 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych View Post
I'd think you're right, bitter is bitter...mostly. Some bittering hops can leave some flavor, I've found, even on a 60 minute boil. But that's mostly only noticeable if your only hopping at 60 and it's a light colored beer, like a pils or something.

Overall yeah, you can find the highest AA hop and use half an ounce of it no matter the style, bittering accomplished!
That, and some hops are harsher than others. If you're making a German beer, for example, the reason to use noble hops and not something like Chinook is because of the cohumulone amounts. What I mean is, those noble hops have a low cohumulone content, so they are considered smoother for bittering. Chinook, for example, is a high cohumulone hop and is perceived as rough or harsh.

Two ounces of tettnang hops will never equal .75 ounce of chinook, even if the IBUs are the same! The cohumulone difference really comes through in cases like this.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Different hops have different bitterness to a certain extent. I usually buy my bittering hops by the pound and use the same neutral variety for several batches. I buy other bittering hops when a specific profile is desired.

Primary: Barley Wine

Secondary: Red Ale, Pale Ale

Conditioning:

Drinking: Brown Ale, 75 min. IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Poor Richard's Ale, Chocolate Cherry Stout

Old 03-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Personally, I have found that bitter seems to have different flavors. I'm not a big hops guys so maybe I'm just more sensitive to it. I can usually tell when Magnum hops have been used in my brew for a bitter and have picked out the flavor in some commercial beers.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
That, and some hops are harsher than others. If you're making a German beer, for example, the reason to use noble hops and not something like Chinook is because of the cohumulone amounts. What I mean is, those noble hops have a low cohumulone content, so they are considered smoother for bittering. Chinook, for example, is a high cohumulone hop and is perceived as rough or harsh.

Two ounces of tettnang hops will never equal .75 ounce of chinook, even if the IBUs are the same! The cohumulone difference really comes through in cases like this.
This is something I've briefly read about when I looked into hop farming, but haven't pursued much. Makes sense.

I just did an all Columbus Pilsner SMaSH ALE (breaking all the rules, tsk tsk) and the hop bitterness is indeed sharp and a bit rough around the edges. I expect it'll tone down, and it's not bad by any means, just...different.

Donor Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Old 03-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Brew-ta-sauraus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't mean to get off subject here but i got a screaming deal on a pound of First Gold 8% Hops. ( they were liek $5 bucks additional to my bulk grain order). I would like to use them as bittering hops for several beers. What styles do you think they will work as bittering hops for?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

Great answer!

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There's also the matter of tannins, if you use EKG to bitter an IPA you'll have more vegetal matter in the kettle and that leads to a different flavor.

Quick Reply