New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Does BIAB Lead to Cloudy Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
iijakii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 123

BIAB does not lead to a cloudy beer, it leads to a massive trub cake in your primary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
bschoenb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iijakii View Post
BIAB does not lead to a cloudy beer, it leads to a massive trub cake in your primary.
And, the yeast love it! Looks for an article coming soon in BYO on this topic

~ BIAB : All Grain Made Easy ; Mash, Sparge, Boil all in the same Kettle ~ all you need is a bag and a hook!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't really worry about cloudiness, but most of my beers are pretty clear anyways.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
geezerpk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I sometimes hear comments about nearly crystal clear wort coming out of the boil to the fermenter. I just never come close to seeing anything like that with my beers. I've tried whirlfloc on occasion, but noticed little improvement, so gave up on that — didn't need the extra expense for minimum results. I use an immersion chiller and get the wort to 80º or below within 15-20 minutes in most cases.

I use a brew bag, but not in the classic fashion. I line a 6 gallon bucket with wrap around insulation in the same manner as a standard tun, the bag acting as a manifold or braid. I mash and sparge in the same way one would with a traditional tun. For clearing the finished beer I use gelatin finings, sometimes in the primary and sometimes in a secondary, and let the gelatin do its work for 3 or 4 days. I'd call most of my beers clear, but not gin-so. The wheat beers remain a bit cloudy even after fining. That's okay by me, doesn't effect the taste.

But clear wort out of the brewpot? Never happens for me.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
jamorgan3777
Recipes 

I have been interested in this as well. I have 4 all grain BIAB runs under my belt, and1 has been completely crystal clear (cream of three crops ale) two have been cloudy although one is only a few days in the keg but the other one (an IPA) never really cleared. The fourth was too dark for me to tell really well. All have tasted great, but my extract brews have been much clearer (although not 100% of them). I did switch from RO water with the extract brews to tap water with the all grain brews. I do also notice that my wort is pretty clear going into the fermenter. I have been using US05 for most of my yeast, so this latest beer will be interesting as I used Northwest Ale yeast.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
EllisTX
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Absolutely not. I do BIAB. This prime example is a IIPA with 4.5 oz of hops in the keg. I just pulled it to show you what irish moss and a good cold crash will get you with BIAB.

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

People Like This 
Old 04-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
Most of my beers are cloudy and I BIAB. Not sure if its related since I never tried traditional method. I have Oktoberfest lager which is 4 months old and its cloudy. Clear but not brilliantly clear, hazy some sort. All my beers end up that way, and I'm not sure what to blame. I use whirfloc last 5 min of boil, I chill within 20 min and have really good cold break. My wort going from kettle to primary is so clear its hard to believe sometimes. I have 4 weeks primary on most beers and additional lagering time for lagers and kolsch alike. My beers never clear up, may be its BIAB related or have something to do with my tap water (I use 50:50 ratio with RO)
I have to take my words back washed my glass that I usually drink from (usually just rinse it) and beer is crystal clear. Sorry for confusion

Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Agree with others that BIAB does not cause cloudy beer. That break will all drop out in primary if you have a good hot break, good cold break, and use kettle finings. I get pretty clear beer, some are crystal clear.

The problem I had was excessive trub in the primary. Whereas I used to be able to get 52 bottles from a batch with extract, I was getting maybe 42-44 with BIAB. One gallon of the fermenter was trub and yeast in the fermenter. This was using a double paint strainer bag approach. Since switching to a much tighter weave bag I'm back up to 48 beers per batch. Good enough in my book to keep doing BIAB for the foreseeable future.

Primary #1:Dunkel #2:Empty
Secondary #1
: Peach Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Piker Liker Porter, Umlaut my Kölsch V
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Red Rye IPA, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Carmelite Tripel, Rhubarb Wine, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Irish Red, Surly Bender clone, Spruced Warmer, CDA

Quick Reply