Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Does anyone strain their wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
telebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Does anyone strain their wort?

Do any of you strain your wort as you pour it into primary?

Mod Edit: this is not specific to extract brewing, it's been moved to a relevant forum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, but only to catch the hops and to allow me to rinse them. I use a mesh screen that fits in the funnel.

All the trub goes into the fermenter, but I allow it to settle then rack it off into another fermenter before pitching the yeast.

That's just my process, fwiw.

Why do you ask? Any questions or concerns you are trying to address?

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

the first time I did an extract I did(what a pain in the a$$, and loss of beer). Now I bag my hops in the boil to easily remove them, and pour the cooled wort right into the primary. anything left will settle out, then you can rack off the finished beer leaving the trub behind.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
telebrewer
Recipes 

Yea, I feel like I'm losing beer by straining it. I'm experimenting with a gluten free batch and after the boil, there seemed to be so little left, I just poured it all in and added water. I'm doing 2 1/2 gal. batches.

Also, I'm using hop pellets, so it just clogs up the strainer anyway. On my 5 gal. batches of real beer, I strained until it got too thick and called it good.

I've just never poured all the wort into primary without straining and was wondering if it would affect racking. As in, will it all settle on the bottom?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I usually use whole hops, so I don't want them getting into the fermenter. Whenever I use pellet hops and they clog the strainer, I just scoop out the mass with a sanitized spoon then continue pouring the wort.

I wouldn't recommend dumping the pellet hops into the fermenter unless you let them settle out and then rack off the clear wort into another fermenter before pitching the yeast.

Losing wort during operations is what made me switch to 5.5 gallon batches, so I end up with a full 5 gallons at the end!

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
bergman1118
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

i experienced some trouble making my first brew (a double ipa) a few weeks ago and straining the wort.. i was using TWO strainers (one mesh strainer attached to funnel, and a plastic colander type strainer i poured through first) and was getting some serious cloggage in both strainers after pouring not much wort through.. granted it was a hoppy recipe but damn were those strainers getting clogged..

Old 07-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
Melana
Up to no good....
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1312 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Yes, we strain our extract batches. Like Yooper said above, less trub.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

i have a false bottom on my boiling kettle, which stops a lot of the trub. i also sometimes use an in-line filter. for most 5 gallon batches, i just dump it straight in, as my smaller stockpot does not have a false bottom anyway and i just get a slightly smaller yield due to more trub.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have used a wire mesh strainer between brewpot and primary after my first three batches. The only time I have problems is mentioned above, when I do my IPA. I just make sure the trash is close and flip the junk into it when it fills and continue straining. I've only used leaf hops once, and that was for dry-hopping. I'm harvesting some of my own soon, so it'll be interesting to see the difference in the way that they strain after the boil.

As for the first three batches, they had more problems from temperature control than straining issues. BUT!! They were still beer! I have a lot more variables in my process to worry about.

I think that most of the stuff that I strain would end up at the bottom of the fermenter anyways, so maybe its unnecessary to get that stuff out. I don't know, but I'll keep doing it until I don't have a helper to hold the strainer as I pour the wort through. If I want to brew and can't round someone up, I'll just dump it in and not worry about it.

Quick Reply