Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Do you ferment in a bottling bucket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
tochsner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Do you ferment in a bottling bucket?

This is probably old news for everyone but I didn't see it mentioned before. I fermented my last two beers in a bottling bucket. When it was time to keg I just put a sanitize hose on the spigot and ran it all into the keg in 2 minutes.
If you are already doing this, I feel dumb. If your not, you got to try it. So much easier and quicker that siphon.

Tony

Rescue Dog Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Ya know I got a kit when I first started, a 7.8 gallon bottling bucket and a 6 gallon glass carboy. So I would use the bucket for primary, and the glass for secondary. Well now that I rarely transfer to secondary, I love just opening that spigot when the beer is done and go from there. Seems the perfect height to keep most trub in the bucket. I now really use nothing but bottling buckets, only glass when I have to because it's the only thing available....

Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
tochsner

Recipes 

And it only took me 15 batches to figure it out.

Tony

Rescue Dog Brewing

Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Not a good idea for a bottler...

I don't keg, so I have priming solution to deal with, and if I poured it in I'd want to stir it up some, and that creates a problem since the yeast and trub are still present at the bottom of the bucket.

...but yeah, just another reason to start kegging!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I use my bottling bucket to hold other things. Things I might use on brew day, but probably won't. I use the bucket that came with my kit (fermenting bucket) sometimes to catch the grain from my mill. It doesn't get used for fermenting beer though. I also don't use carboys for anything other than (maybe) bringing the filtered water to brew with. I also don't lift/move my fermenting vessels once the yeast goes in. Not even an inch. They sit on the floor of the basement for as long as they do before I transfer the finished beer to serving kegs.

IMO, keep a close eye on that spigot. Remove it between batches and clean it REALLY well. Sanitize the ever living snot out of it too (as well as before you use it to run the beer to keg). There's plenty of places for bad things to take hold and mess up your batch.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
jammin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I've used bottling buckets several times as well. I agree, it's makes racking a breeze. Especially helpfull when dry hops are involved - no clogging of a racking cane etc.

One way I've found to help sanitize the spigot, is to place in a microwave safe vessel and boil. Super easy.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
tochsner

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4mmy86 View Post
Not a good idea for a bottler...

I don't keg, so I have priming solution to deal with, and if I poured it in I'd want to stir it up some, and that creates a problem since the yeast and trub are still present at the bottom of the bucket.

...but yeah, just another reason to start kegging!
But you could put the priming sugar in another bottling bucket then drain it right from the first bucket onto the sugar. It would work slick.

Tony

Rescue Dog Brewing

Old 12-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
jammin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochsner View Post
But you could put the priming sugar in another bottling bucket then drain it right from the first bucket onto the sugar. It would work slick.
^this. i've used that technique with great results.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochsner View Post

Seems to kinda defeat the purpose tho. I think the real appeal is not needing anything more than a fermenter and some hose. If I'm going to use a fermenting bucket and then break out another bottling bucket I feel like I might as well get the siphon too.

...but I don't mind using the siphon at all.

Quick Reply