Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Do you dry hop in the primary or the secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar View Post
Another option, though far less common, is dry hopping simultaneously with your yeast pitch. The argument against this is that volatiles will be blown off through the process of releasing CO2, and this is true to a point.

I had to experiment with this process when working at a pub that used spundigs for carbonation. Since the fermenters had to be sealed with the pressure relief set at a certain point to allow gas beyond that needed for carbonation to escape during fermentation, there was no convenient method of adding the hops post-fermentation. The only reasonable time to put them in the fermenter was along with yeast pitch.

After fooling around with it some, trying different amounts of dry hop, etc., I came to the conclusion that an additional 10-15% of the dry hop bill was required to achieve a similar effect in the finished product.

The upside is less effort and fewer times opening/closing your fermenter, every time you do so it is another potential contamination source.

The downside is that it takes more hops which means more $ and more junk in the fermenter.
Really? I would have expected the loss of volatiles like you said, but did you ever have problems with the beer sitting on the hops long enough to develop the grassy flavors that everyone dreads?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #22
Dirty25
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 26

From time to time I will dry hop in secondary. It is not a clarity thing it's a fermenter availability thing. Sometimes my 6.5 g carboys need to have other stuff in them and I can't dry hop in them. Normally I dry hop in primary though.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #23
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
Really? I would have expected the loss of volatiles like you said, but did you ever have problems with the beer sitting on the hops long enough to develop the grassy flavors that everyone dreads?
No. Ales were typically 10-14 days brew to glass and never had an issue like that. Typically about 2 days before xfer to serving tank I would dump the yeast and the bulk of the dry hops with it. This meant that the beer was sitting with the hops for 8 to 12 days most of the time.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
BassBeer
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've done both and get just as good (or better) results dryhopping in the primary. I usually throw them in loose at about 2.5 weeks and cold crash before transferring to the keg. Works great!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #25
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

In the keg, ftw!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #26
Dolomieu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 113

+1 in the keg and leave them the entire time it's on tap

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #27
psymonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymonkey View Post
I'm doing this for the first time with a classic APA. I'm really excited to see how it works out! The suspense is killing me, but I'll be ten days on CO2 on Wed, trying to hold out until then to give it just a little more time to WOW me
Quoting myself here - I couldn't wait and drew a couple of pints yesterday for the wife and I. It is excellent, and was fully carbed - bonus! I think the hop aroma was more intense than the dry hopping I've done in the primary and secondary, but this was also my first time dry hopping with Citra.

I wonder how much of a difference it makes dry-hopping under pressure as the CO2 is dissolving into the beer? It stands to reason that one might get a more intense aroma, and this beer doesn't disappoint. I think this is my new method of choice.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #28
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 6

99% of the time I dry hop in the primary, a typical AIPA or APA fermentation schedule (US-05 yeast fermented at 66-68F) goes something like this for me:

Day 1: Pitch yeast (8 gallon plastic fermentation buckets).
Day ~7: Add dry hops to primary. I just remove the airlock and drop them in. They get moved around by CO2 being released.
Day ~14: Rack to 5 gallon carboy (brite tank) and add ~4g of gelatine dissolved in hot distilled water.
Day ~16-17: Keg.

On rare occasions I'll dry hop in secondary but only because I want the yeast in the primary. If that's the case, I'll wait longer (12-14 days) before racking to secondary as I want to be 100% sure the yeast has done fermenting and has had a chance to 'clean up' after itself a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar View Post
Another option, though far less common, is dry hopping simultaneously with your yeast pitch.... After fooling around with it some, trying different amounts of dry hop, etc., I came to the conclusion that an additional 10-15% of the dry hop bill was required to achieve a similar effect in the finished product.
Interesting - that's far less than I would have thought. I think I may start adding my dry hops sooner, after most of the heavy krausen has dropped (like after 3-4 days instead of 7).

Kal

Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #29
psymonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I wonder if this increased the risk of something getting a foothold in the beer or if the yeast take over too quickly for that to be a concern? I kind of thought it was done later int he process due to the high quantity of yeast coupled with the alcohol minimizing the possibility of infection.

EDIT: This is in response to dry hopping at the same time as pitching.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #30
BiggestDawg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedStackey View Post
I personally dry hop in a secondary. I think it's just preference and what your process is. I usually always rack to a secondary and use it as a "settling tank".
I also have been dry hopping in secondary. I always rack and let clarify and if dry hopping do so when racking. Yes it is a bit more work at cleanup but it has always come out better than when I tried it in primary.

Quick Reply