Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Do You Condition Cold?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 03:44 AM   #1
Sarra King
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do You Condition Cold?

In the bottling stage of conditioning, do you store your beer in the fridge or closet?

Does the temperature matter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2004, 04:08 AM   #2
Ken Powers

Recipes 

I usually condition my ales in the closet at about 70 degrees. That way they can sufficiently carbonate. I usually leave them there until I move them to the fridge to consume them. They usually condition in the closet for at least 2 to 4 weeks. If you are brewing a lager or pilsener and are using an appropriate lager yeast, they are aged for much longer at much lower temperatures and usually require refridgeration during the conditioning phase.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:20 AM   #3
snookmz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarra King
In the bottling stage of conditioning, do you store your beer in the fridge or closet?
I store mine on the shelf. The temp around 75F is perfect..

Quote:
The lower the temperature and the longer it'll take to carbonate and condition. I find after about 4 weeks the beer is perfect at around the 75F mark. And I only put the bottles in the fridge the morning of the day I will drink them.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:49 PM   #4
The Professor

Recipes 

If the beer has aged long enough, sometimes I will move it to the fridge to stop the aging process and make the remaining yeast fall out of suspension. As beer ages it becomes a little more dry in flavor and cold temperatures will stop the process for ales. Lagers may continue to slowly age due to the low temperature tolerances of lager yeasts. But in any case this effect is barely noticable and should not be worried about.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarra King

If you're doing natural bottle conditioning, then you need to store the bottles at the same temperature you fermented at. Remember what is going on here is that the beer is fermenting just a bit more to carbonate the beer. After a couple of weeks, you can chill the beer, and I would say that is the best way to store it once the conditioning is over.

Janx

Quick Reply