*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Do you Aerate your Wort ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #51
DamageCT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I want to add to debunk this myth.
Once I had to pour my mash, from one mash tun into another since the tubing got clogged when I was trying to vorlauf.

I litterally POURED 7 gallons of 154 degree water from one cooler into another. Tons of froth and bubbles.... went through with the brewing process (extremely worried the beer was ruined) and there were NO signs of HSA.

It may have been fine since whatever got trapped may have been boiled off, but supposedly the oxygen binds with the sugars in HSA so boiling would not fix it, yet, no problems at all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #52
DamageCT
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Totally off topic but has anyone in this forum ever actually experienced HSA?

Old 01-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #53
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageCT
Totally off topic but has anyone in this forum ever actually experienced HSA?
Uh. Seriously? You didn't read Revvys sermon...I mean post did you?

Let's paraphrase what Revvy explained. "No!"

Old 12-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #54
openfly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

This is part of some research I am doing on an older style beer I am trying to find everything out about that I can.

But, apparently aeration cooling on hot wort has been around since the 1800s.

Quote:
THE HANFORD-STANFORD COMPANY, No. 603 Sears Building.— The system of cooling liquids by aeration is essentially a modern institution, of quite recent origin, but it has become so indispensable to the brewing industry that it is a matter of wonder how they have managed to exist so long without it. The leader in the introduction of this system in Boston is the Hanford-Stanford Company which has patented devices for cooling and aerating beer in tubs or wort receivers. The object of the Hanford-Stanford apparatus is to place the hot beer in a surface cooler in the form of a spray and to utilize every possible foot of the cooler surface for two reasons; first, to get a thorough hot aeration by so dividing the atomizers that the cooler is well covered, and avoiding intermingling of the spray; secondly greatly increased cooling effect. After five years' practical work in this one branch of the brewing art, this company place before the trade the result of their experience, as shown in the present excellent apparatus. They guarantee a saving of fifty percent, in time of cooling, a large saving in refrigerating liquids and water, an improved yeast and fermentation, and a resulting beer of better keeping qualities than by the present method. It shows the highly beneficial effect of a hot aeration upon beer, and the resulting yeast is of first-class fermenting power, cells large, uniform, settling quickly and proving conclusively that oxygen is of the first importance in the formation and perpetuation of a healthy yeast

Reference is made to the following among the many using this apparatus, to wit: The Bergner &
Engel Brewing Company, Philadelphia; Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association, St. Louis; R. F. Haffenreffer & Co., Frank Jones Brewing Company, Boston; Jacob Ruppert, Peter Doelger , Wm. A. Miles Brewing Company, the Consumers Brewing Company [Limited], the John Kress Brewing Company, New York City; Prospect Brewing Company, Chr. Schmidt, Class & Nachod Brewing Company, F. A. Poth, Arnholdt & Schsefer Brewing Company, Philadelphia' Budweiser Brewing Company, Long Island Brewing Company, Brooklyn; P. Schoenhofen Brewing Company, Ernst Fecker Brewing Company, McAvoy Brewing Company, Ernst Bros. United States Branch Brewing Company; Wacker <fc Birk, Chicago; Chr. Moerlein Brewing Company, Cincinnati; the National Brewing Com-
pany; Geo. Bauernschmidt Brewing Company, Baltimore; Jos. Hensler Brewing Company, Newark, N. J.; Chr. Heurich Brewing Company, Washington, D. C; Quinnipiac Brewing Company, New Haven, Conn. ; Wm. Peter Brewing Company, Union Hill. N. J. The president, Mr. Hanford, and the general manager, Mr. Stanford, are the inventors of the apparatus and give their close personal attention to the promotion of the best interests of the company. Under its present management the continued success and permanent prosperity _of the company is well assured.
citation: http://archive.org/stream/bostonitsc...2conn_djvu.txt

Quick Reply