Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > DME addition during fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
thedisasterparty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default DME addition during fermentation?

Hey guys. So, turns out one of my thermometers was out of calibration by a significant amount (8 degrees F). I held what I thought was the right temp in the mash the entire hour. The beer is a double IPA and was supposed to come out to a OG of 1090, but instead hit 1050. Being late in the day, the brewing store was already closed and I had no extra malt on hand to bump it up.

So, it's been 1.5 days now and i'm wondering if it would be possible to boil maybe a half gallon of water with ~2 lbs of DME and add it to the already fermenting vessel? I realize that to hit that 1090 i would have to do closer to 5, but don't really want to add that much. At the same time I don't want to be so low.

13 oz of hops made this a stupidly expensive brew, I'd like it to be somewhat drinkable.

Any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
BeerLogic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That sounds like a fine plan. I made the same mistake once, and I have the following advice: You extracted WAY more IBUs than intended with your lower gravity wort, so you're going to have to age this for a LONG time before it's not horribly bitter. Don't give up on it - in a few months it'll be great, regardless of whether you add the boiled DME or not! (I opted not to.) If you do add it, make sure you boil it thoroughly to avoid nasty dms flavors.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

To balance out the bitter a higher ABV and higher FG would probably help. Your plan sounds good to me.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Quick Reply