Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Divided Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
Bartmannj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've noticed that there are no strict rules. Some people swear by blow off tubes even during secondary fermentation (!). I'm thinking of buying another bung for the carboy, making the hole somewhat larger, and adding a wide long tube leading to a Carlo Rossi gallon jug filled with water. I don't want to mess around with that 90-degree-angle-PVC-pipe setup.
Will this suffice? At least I'll be sure that it's in tight...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
curlyfat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I finally got sick of cleaning up the mess in my fermentation freezers, so I just start with a blow-off tube every time now. If I don't need it, I put an airlock on after 36 hours or so. I just use a 1" ID vinyl tube (from local hardware store) that fits the carboy perfectly, and run that into a 1g jug half full of star san. Besides, this way if I end up with closer to 6g in the carboy, it's nothing to worry about.

2. Hefeweizen
3. BYO 15th anniversary Ale
4. Utah Fresh Pressed cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply