Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dilemma- to brew or not to brew...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Steiner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dilemma- to brew or not to brew...

Here's the situation: I've already posted in another thread that I'll be leaving town and country and will not return for 5 months. I gathered up my recipes for bulk aging, yet the time has crept up on me and now I don't know how I'll make it. I'm leaving in less than a week (exactly 6 days from today) and am not sure if that will be enough time to ferment completely and absolutely. I'm racking to secondaries, yet I've always liked to give my beer 2 weeks in the primary which I don't have. So...I'm planning on brewing today but may not. My concern...what to do if I'm in a jam and it's not ready to rack? Is it not a good idea to leave in a primary for that long (autolysis, etc)? I could have someone else (non-brewer) work the autosiphon and transfer to a secondary. Then again, I could just wait and do it when I get back. Just wanted some feedback. Oh ya, I'm planning on brewing Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, and maybe an apfelwine (time permitting). I also wanted to brew the 888 Russian Imperial Stout, but doesn't look like there's time for that. Avg temp here: hi 63 low 45

Primary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Pumpkin Ale, Scottish Ale
Aging: Oaked Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Blueberry Mead, Orange Mead
Drinking:
Next:

Time heals...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/blog.php?b=104
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you use Nottinghams and pitch two packets you'll be able to rack to secondary in 5 days. The RIS will have to wait I think as will the apfelwein...or live with a partial yeast cake sitting in the bottom for 5 months. You're right at the limit...probably should have made this post a week ago I'd go for the mead tho...

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just looking at your signature it would appear you're not hurtin' for brew at the moment, so personally I'd hold off. Why go to the trouble, and then sweat the results the whole time you're gone?

Start a mead or cider that will hold fine for that amount of time if you really need to, or even a cheap wine kit.

Just my ¢2,
Matt

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 01-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

To brew or not to brew. That is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of empty kegs,
or to take arms against a mash tun of grain, and by infusing brew them.

But seriously...
If you have a friend that can follow instructions and understands the importance of sanitation, I say brew and let your friend rack to secondary in two weeks.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 210

No to the 888.

Pitch a huge amount of yeast in any other recipe and you should be able to rack off to 2ndary in 3-4 days.

Go for it.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply