Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Techniques (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/)
-   -   Dilemma- to brew or not to brew... (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/dilemma-brew-not-brew-49916/)

Steiner 01-03-2008 06:18 PM

Dilemma- to brew or not to brew...
 
Here's the situation: I've already posted in another thread that I'll be leaving town and country and will not return for 5 months. I gathered up my recipes for bulk aging, yet the time has crept up on me and now I don't know how I'll make it. I'm leaving in less than a week (exactly 6 days from today) and am not sure if that will be enough time to ferment completely and absolutely. I'm racking to secondaries, yet I've always liked to give my beer 2 weeks in the primary which I don't have. So...I'm planning on brewing today but may not. My concern...what to do if I'm in a jam and it's not ready to rack? Is it not a good idea to leave in a primary for that long (autolysis, etc)? I could have someone else (non-brewer) work the autosiphon and transfer to a secondary. Then again, I could just wait and do it when I get back. Just wanted some feedback. Oh ya, I'm planning on brewing Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, and maybe an apfelwine (time permitting). I also wanted to brew the 888 Russian Imperial Stout, but doesn't look like there's time for that. Avg temp here: hi 63 low 45

sirsloop 01-03-2008 06:25 PM

If you use Nottinghams and pitch two packets you'll be able to rack to secondary in 5 days. The RIS will have to wait I think as will the apfelwein...or live with a partial yeast cake sitting in the bottom for 5 months. You're right at the limit...probably should have made this post a week ago ;) I'd go for the mead tho...

FatDuc 01-03-2008 06:26 PM

Just looking at your signature it would appear you're not hurtin' for brew at the moment, so personally I'd hold off. Why go to the trouble, and then sweat the results the whole time you're gone?

Start a mead or cider that will hold fine for that amount of time if you really need to, or even a cheap wine kit.

Just my 2,
Matt

gruntingfrog 01-03-2008 06:31 PM

To brew or not to brew. That is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of empty kegs,
or to take arms against a mash tun of grain, and by infusing brew them.

But seriously...
If you have a friend that can follow instructions and understands the importance of sanitation, I say brew and let your friend rack to secondary in two weeks.

BierMuncher 01-03-2008 09:24 PM

No to the 888.

Pitch a huge amount of yeast in any other recipe and you should be able to rack off to 2ndary in 3-4 days.

Go for it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.