Diffusion Stone - Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
I bought a wort aeration kit online from here:
http://www.homebrewstuff.com/wort-aeration-system.html

It seems that the diffusion stone is clogged or that I need to do something before using it. The pump works fine but no air will pass through the stone, even if I blow down the tube with just the stone on the end it wont let anything through. Have I missed some important instructions somewhere telling me what I need to do before it will work?

Remove the stone from the tubing and boil it in water for 15 minutes. And don't touch the stone with your fingers lest the oils from your skin plug up the pores in the stone...

Cheers!

Cheers, trying that now, I boiled it before for 20mins and it didnt seem to help much, now im boiling it another 20mins with the pump going and connected, hopefully that will clear the holes out..

well its still not working, I can suck water through it with enough effort so I know its not just a solid bit of steel on the end, any ideas what could be clogging it and how to get it out assuming it is clogged on the inside? 40 mins of boiling water hasnt done very much at all.

Mine is like that.. if it is the stainless steel one. Extremely fine pores. Works well with the O2 cylinder. If you aren't using O2.. you might want to look for an aquarium stone for that little pump. Sanitize it and it should put out a ton of air bubbles.

You were right Bill, I attached it to my co2 bottle for kegging and it worked just fine. They had sent me the wrong size stone but are sending me a new one straight away so that's fair enough. It just goes to show the size of hole we are talking about when you cant blow down it but co2 gets through, maybe I should have held my breath longer and that might have worked :drunk:

Back