New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Difference Sparging methods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post
A couple things I often do that may be tough to do if you batch sparge. Not a huge deal but something to consider maybe.

Decoction mash out. I almost always snag some mash and bring it to a boil then put it back in the tun to mash out. I like doing decoctions, what can I say.

Late dark grain additions. Within the past few batches I've started adding my dark/roasted grains to the top of my mash just before I start my fly sparge and only lightly stirring them into the top few inches of the mash. I've found this helps smooth out that bitter/astringent flavor you can get with dark grains. It also helps to keep the ph up throughout the sparging process.
Boiling some of the first runnings (no grain) and dumping that back into the mash tun to get to mashout is very simple. It probaby has very little taste impact but I like to do it on high gravity brews or mashes that end cool. Boiling grain in that step ends up being more work to stir and more time to heat slower.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
HeavyKettleBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher

I think this is pretty common, regardless of method. As for efficiency, I consistently land between 72-76% with batch sparge, which is right where I want to be (I actually design for 70% and usually get a bit better). One thing I prefer about BS over FS is that I run much smaller risk of tannin extraction, and it is a little better on time. When I've FS'd, my efficiency has been 5-8% better, which makes very little difference to me.
How do you measure efficiency when starting a boil prior to obtaining the total volume? If you measure first running your efficiency will be higher than a reading of total volume pre-boil, correct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply