Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > is this diacetyl?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
drummer4gc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default is this diacetyl?

i've been fermenting a california common for the last 8 days at 55 degrees. used the san francisco lager from white labs, made a starter, temperature has been consistent. OG was 1.053, and a hydrometer sample today measures 1.012. I'll take another in a few days, but i am guessing it is pretty much at final gravity.

however, when i tasted the sample, it tasted sweeter than i expected. anchor steam (the beer the recipe is formed after) is pretty bitter, and this had a strange sweetness to it, especially for 1.012. it wasnt a completely sugary sweetness though, it kind of felt "thick" in the mouth, and i'm wondering if this is the "buttery" description people use to describe diacetyl. it would make sense with this type of lager yeast and a lower temperature, from what i've read.

what do you think? is now the time to raise the temp a bit for a diacetyl rest, or do i wait until i'm sure it is as final gravity? is is clear that this even diacetyl? its really tough to get taste descriptions over the internet and try to compare them to your own sensory experience.

Last edited by drummer4gc; 12-28-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A diacetyl rest is done when the fermentation is about 75% complete, you are way past that at this point but it would not hurt to raise the temp to get another point or two to finish the beer. I usually let my lagers go in primary for at least 3 week and then lager for 4 weeks. if you pitched at 50f and maintained that temp through completion a diacetyl should not be necessarily. Lagers will change during the conditioning and lagering stage. give it some time you could be fine.

edit sorry you mentioned a California common 50 is too cold sorry. I imagine you were fermenting around 58-60.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
drummer4gc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah 55 actually, although i pitched the yeast in the 60s and brought the temp down over a few hours (at the suggestion of my lhbs). and since it is a cali common, i was not planning on lagering. after a bit more research, i am thinking that i will take it out of my fermentation fridge in a few days and let it condition in the back of my cold closet (~60 degrees) for the next week or two. hopefully a slightly higher temperature and some more conditioning time will help it clean up.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

well, the original description is exactly what Im experiencing at the moment, it's a perfect description really. So Im going to raise the dead instead of starting new.

As written in the original, Im tasting this thicker/sweeter than expected hydro sample. Im currently at 1.014 with Wyeast 2112, been fermenting for 18 days. Would there be any harm in doing a D-rest just to be safe?

Maybe any comments from the OP on where he ended up with his experience?

Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
beerbeer95648
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After 18 days any diacetyl should have been dealt with by now. Diacetyl is more readily removed when the yeast is active shortly following primary fermentation. Diacetyl definitely can have a mouth feel, but I have never used that to identify it. It is more much identifiable to me through the distinctive butter/butterscotch flavor profile. If it is indeed diacetyl in great enough concentration to feel, then you should also be able to taste it. Normally, if diacetyl is present 2 weeks later it is because of weak yeast during primary, an issue with fermentation temperatures, or infections like Pediococcus. My guess is your tasting something else.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 470

Doesn't sound pike diacetyl to me. Diacetyl IS buttery...you'll know it right away if you've got it.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Buttery like fake popcorn butter flavor

Old 12-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Yup its pretty obvious. Hit me like a ton of bricks with 2308 lager yeast prior to diacetyl rest.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 12-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

sweet, thanks guys. no movie theater popcorn here, just gotta wait through the holidays before I can bottle

Old 12-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Yup, if it doesn't taste like buttered popcorn or create a slick, oily feel on your teeth it's not diacetyl. It is possible you didn't use enough hops though to balance out the sweetness of the malt. You also are tasting an un-conditioned, non carbonated beer. Once conditioned and carbonated it will probably taste better and less sweet.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply