Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Diacetly rest with Ringwood Ale yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #11
llamabox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Is this a pooka from NC?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The Ringwood Ale yeast is widely used in Brew Pubs for it's ability to produce outstanding Ale going from Brew to Glass in as little as 7 days. Fermentation is generally fast, 2 or 3 days fermented around 67-68°, a rise to mid 70's for a day or two diacetyl rest, Cold Crash (Clears very well without a need to filter) Keg, Carb and drink is my game plan for this Yeast.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
OlieNH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Wyeast London ESB (1968) also recommends a diacetyl rest: "A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete. Bright beers are easily achieved within days without any filtration. "

I currently have one fermenting at 68 degrees. I am going to let it go 2 full weeks and, assuming the gravity isn't dropping any more, I'll move it out to warmer part of the basement that is around 75 degrees.

Has anyone else ever worked with that yeast? Does that sound about right?

On Deck: 15 gallons of Robust Porter
On Deck: Rye IPA
Primary: Belgian Golden Strong with Chimay Strain
Primary 2: Belgian Golden Strong with Abbey Ale Strain
Primary 3: empty
Primary 4: empty
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Keg 2: More Apfelwien
Keg 2: Battle Axe Double IPA
Keg 3: Exctract Pale Ale
Keg 4:
Keg 5:
Keg 6:
Bourbon Barrel: Breakfast Stout

Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've worked with 1968 and never had an issue with diacetyl. Let the beer tell you what to do, not some predetermined schedule. A schedule only exists when you've fermented with a particular yeast for a number of times in the same type of beer. And only then is it just a guideline, the beer still makes the decision for you on what needs to be done.

That said, this yeast has a tendency to drop out, stall, or quit fermentation early if temperatures cool. This may require some rousing and/or temperature increases to help the yeast finish. Not only should you be doing SG checks (at 1 week, 2 week if you go that far, etc) to monitor fermentation (no airlock sniffing or bubble watching both of which are unreliable) you should taste your beer as well. You'll know when you need to continue fermentation with the above measures or not if you detect it. If you do detect diacetyl and FG has been reached or SG has stabilized, wait it out and the yeast often cleans it up. If it persists for a long time, you might have other issues (bacterial). I'm beginning to find with experience that if you pitched enough healthy yeast, keep your fermentation temps in line the first several days (pick a temp between 64-68F) and then allow temps to rise (up to 75F or more) I haven't needed to worry too much about off-flavors like diacetyl.

Short answer though, yes, you sound about right

On Deck: Kumquat Kolsch

Quick Reply