Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > The definitive aeration/oxygenation experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #71
wonderbread23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My major criticism is using gloves instead of condoms. I think seeing which condom got erect first would have truly been the definitive proof of fermentation that is needed. That being said, great experiment!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #72
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 301 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I just caught onto this thread. I tried reading through it and as best I can tell everything is based off the idea that the value of O2 is in a fast fermentation and high attenuation. Below is an excerpt from some of my research that I am too lazy to retype so its directly quoted,

"Oxygen is critical for yeast health. The aerobic respiration yields far more energy than anaerobic fermentation, which is exactly what yeast need as they multiply. As well, oxygen is used during the lag phase to desaturate fatty acids which is critical to maintain cell membrane fluidity as the yeast multiply. This fluidity is critical since if the membrane is too rigid it can not as readily reabsorb diacetyl."

So, what you do at the onset of fermentation pays dividends at the end of the process with healthier yeast. If you re-pitch yeast it is that much more of a benefit.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #73
sailrat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This was a great thread. Thanks to Bobby M and the others for their input, even though it was 3 years ago.

Wonderbread23: I'd get nervous about the part where he puts holes in the gloves, (think about holes in condoms)
Good info.

Quick Reply