The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Define "BOIL"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
marshman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Define "BOIL"

So, as I'm makin' my beer last night I got to wonderin' about something. I bring some water to boil, pull from heat to add LME (learned the hard way) and return to heat once it's all pretty much dissolved. I had turned the burner down to @ 75% while I was off of it, forgot to turn it back to full. Set timer for 10 minutes for 1st hop addition. 10 minutes comes and goes, add hops, NOW I set back to high, reset for 35 min for next hop addition. 8 minutes into this phase, or 18 minutes since I put it back on the heat, I get back to a full boil. I finish the regularly scheduled timing as if it'd been boiling the entire 60 minutes, but wondered if I need to wait for a proper "Boil" to start the clock. It was definitely hot & steamy the whole 60 minutes, just not at a full, rolling boil. Is it essential to boil, or just be real, real hot?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

That's a good question that I wondered myself. I noticed that even when the wort is kinda churning/rolling steamy, the temp is actually about 205dF, not 212. It takes quite a bit of time to get to 212 with my 3 gallons of wort, even on a 12kBTU burner.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
Brewno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've assumed a full rolling boil but never considered temperature.

These are two interesting questions and I'm now very curious. I'll have to browse "How To Brew" and Papazian.
Oh and let me not forget David 42, member of these forums whom I find very knowledgeable (one of among the many here).
I'm becoming a fan, Dave

Tommy

Old 09-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, has been a bit of debate about this. I was under the impression that you needed a really vigorous boil to get the hops banging around in there to get the acids isomerized, and also to get the hot-break to coagulate. While this is true, I have recently discovered that too-violent a boil will result in increased melanoidans and caramelize your wort, even with a full-wort boil.
The answer to your question lies in boil-off rates. This is expressed in percent of wort volume lost to evaporation per hour. Below 8% is not enough to drive off dimethylsulphide (DMS) which will give your beer a sweet-corn-like taste, 9%-15% is the sweet spot and anything above 15% will encourage melanoidans and caramelization of the wort.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

The impression that I've gotten is that a full, rolling boil is necessary for hops utilization and to get a good hot break (like Cheyco says - listen to any man named "Cheyco"). It's not just getting the wort hot. It has been very difficult for me on the stove; I think there may be a scientific reason why it's so much more difficult to get those last couple of degrees of temp before the boil (it always wants to stay at around 208 - 210 unless I have the lid partially on). I've invested in a turkey fryer in large part so I can get the full boil.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Don't forget about altitude. I live up high, and my wort never sees 212F, I think mine boils around 209, or maybe even a bit less. And watch out with that lid Bird, you're heading for boil-over city (), not to mention possible DMS problems.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Well, that's why I've got the fryer (don't you read? )

It was always a compromise; full boil or no lid, had to pick.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #8
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sometimes I read, when it suits me...

Old 09-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #9
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was told that when removing the heat from a boiling pot to make additions, you stop the clock as it were, and then start it back up when it comes back to a boil.
Reasoning is that for bittering purposes you need a full boil to acheive isomerization of the hops and that you generally need 60 minutes to 90 minutes of this for bittering.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 09-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
Brewno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
I was told that when removing the heat from a boiling pot to make additions, you stop the clock as it were, and then start it back up when it comes back to a boil.

Now that's a surprise. I didn't know you had to remove the heat before adding hops. I just put my hops (in bags) right in the boiling wort.
The more I read the more I have questions

Tommy

Quick Reply