Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Decoction vs melanoidin malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Over the years I've gone from being a decoction skeptic, to a true believer, back to a skeptic again. After this study, I'm more willing to use decoction mashes in certain situations. Decoction does a couple cool things that infusion mashing doesn't, but it definitely doesn't increase "maltiness" more than specialty grain can.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #13
PBbrew2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nate, its posts like yours that compelled me to join this website in the first place; really appreciate your sharing the results. I have been reading up quite a bit on this very topic and have to say that anecdotal evidence from guys like you go a long way. One day i hope to contribute back to this forum with such helpful info as you have. Cheers my friend,

Old 11-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
Trillium
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Very interesting and well done. You probably should have done the comparision with single dedoction, or at most a double decoction. Most German Breweries have moved in this direction due to better quality and higher modified malts.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
Nateo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
Very interesting and well done. You probably should have done the comparision with single dedoction, or at most a double decoction. Most German Breweries have moved in this direction due to better quality and higher modified malts.
I wanted to go with the largest conceivable difference in mashing to see if there really was a difference. Still, the beers were very similar, and a couple people mistakenly ID'd duplicates. I think the potential effects from one mashing regime vs another are astonishingly small, in practice. If the most extreme ends of the mashing spectrum yielded very similar results, I doubt intermediate mashing schedules would be discernibly different.

But, I'd love for someone to prove me wrong, and I'd be happy to volunteer my taste buds if anyone wants to perform a similar experiment.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

Old 11-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I would also volunteer my taste buds, you know, for the sake of the hobby.

I didn't start out as a decoction skeptic but I'm definitely more open to the skepticism than I used to be. I've tasted commercial beers I'd swear were decocted but weren't and ones that were that I detect no character associated with decoction mashes. Live Oak Hefeweizen is an exceptional hefeweizen and conventional logic says that's definitely a beer that's decocted because it's very thick and malty but it's not. They just do a single infusion. I'm not sure if they use melanoidin malt or carapils or something else but it's definitely not missing anything without the decoction mash.

In my own brewing I feel like there's a noticeable difference in a few of my beers I decoction mash so I don't think I would give it up although I could probably get very close to the same effect with some melanoidin malt and/or carapils.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
Nateo
Recipes 

The triple-decocted beer was described as less malty than the melanoidin malt beer. So if you want malty, don't expect a decoction to automatically give you that profile.

There was definitely a very small difference, though the decocted beer was the opposite of the "conventional wisdom" expectation. It was perceived as less malty and more bitter.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #18
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
I'm with this guy (gal?). Why a compare with a no-sparge? You're leaving out the control from the scientific method. It's a great write up and all but a proper experiment would be same recipe, same yeast, same sparge, different mash methods. If you then determine there is a difference, then introduce the melanoidin. I don't mean to be naggy but this is a pretty frequently disputed subject and it could use a good thorough experiment.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #19
Nateo
Recipes 

If tasters struggled to identify how and which beers are different in the most extreme case, how would making the beers more similar yield better results? But, if you think your experiment would be more valid, I'd be happy to lend my tastebuds.

JasontheBeaver Likes This 
Old 03-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #20
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
If tasters struggled to identify how and which beers are different in the most extreme case, how would making the beers more similar yield better results?
I agree with this.
Thanks for taking the time to do the experiment and post the results for all of us to judge for ourselves.

"Homebrewing to cut costs on my obsessive tailgating habit."
Car Detailing, Headlight Restoration, Windshield Chip Repair, Odor Removal, Engine Steam Cleaning all in Beaverton, Portland, OR

Quick Reply