New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Decant or not-to-decant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
pa-in-utah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Decant or not-to-decant

What do you all do?? This is my 1st starter so I am looking for guidance.

Just made the starter with 1/2 cup DME and 2 cups water. I am brewing Saturday. Should I put the starter in the fridge Friday night and decant Saturday? Or just pitch the entire starter?

I have read about the chance of "off flavor" with starters. I wouldn't think 2 cups would effect 5 gallons. Guess it depends. Is there anyway to tell if things went array with the starter? What determines to decant or not? Preference?

Sorry for all the questions..... Still a Noob at some of this. Learning as I go.

Clinton, Utah

Primary: "Holiday Hooch"... Apfelwein spiced with Cinnamon and brown sugar.
Secondary 1: German Wheat
Secondary 2: Nuttin'
Bottled: Hefe (002), Belgian Honey Ale (003), Arrogant Ale (005), Schwheat Honey Wheat (006), "J&R" Cream Ale (007), Apfelwein (008), The Dogs Bollocks English Ale (009), Cinn-Nilla Spice Ale (010), Apple-Berry Apfelwein (011)
On Deck: German Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
KopyKat

Recipes 

Quote:
I have read about the chance of "off flavor" with starters. I wouldn't think 2 cups would effect 5 gallons. Guess it depends. Is there anyway to tell if things went array with the starter? What determines to decant or not? Preference?
I doubt that two cups would be enough to worry about.

I decant when I have made the starter far enough in advance that the yeast have completed fermentation and I have time to cool and settle it out.

I also decant when making a hugh starter, gallon or so, and volumes would be a problem or I am making a light beer such as a pilsner.

My personal preference for most beers I make is to make a 2000 ml starter and pitch the whole thing at high krausen.

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Old 05-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

depends on what your brewing really. If you have say a lighter beer like a blonde ale, then yes, I would definitely decant. But say if you have a imperial stout, then you're not going to notice.

I always try and decant, but thats just me. And since I use a stirplate to make my starters, the end product is highly oxidised from constantly drawing in air. I really dont want that in my beer so I decant as much as possible

Old 05-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If my starter is fermented out I go ahead and decant, if it is still active I pitch the whole thing.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 05-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Llarian
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I try not to add more than 500ml of starter liquid if at all possible. Since I typically make 2L starters, that means making the starter 4ish days in advance and letting it flocculate.

I've found I seldom need to chill the starter if I give it enough time to ferment and sit for a day or so following, I can just decant the liquid off immediatly before pitching while its still at room temperature.

-D

Old 05-03-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
csp
Recipes 

i made the same size starter a week or so ago but ended up working almost all weekend.too tired to brew on sunday night i put it in the fridge.i am off this weekend and WILL brew 2 batches at least on sat.should i feed a couple more cups of wort to my starter?

Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

As you have seen from the above posts you could do it either way and still make great beer. If you do refrigerate make sure you allow your starter to warm up to your pitching temp before you toss it into your beer...

Quick Reply