Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Debating on when to add corn sugar to IIPA.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,637
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Debating on when to add corn sugar to IIPA.

Brewing up an IIPA right now and I'm going to add 1.5 lbs of corn sugar to help dry the beer out. I've seen two times to add; 15 mins left in the boil and after fermentation has started declining.

Anyone prefer one over the other?

__________________
staygoldBREWING

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions
chefchris is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,335
Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

In my saison, I had a lb of sugar in the recipe and I added it right as fermentation started to taper off. It works well to make sure you attenuate as well as possible since you let the yeast work on the complex sugars from the malt first, then give them the simple sugars at the end. Took it down to 1.001!

__________________

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,637
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
In my saison, I had a lb of sugar in the recipe and I added it right as fermentation started to taper off. It works well to make sure you attenuate as well as possible since you let the yeast work on the complex sugars from the malt first, then give them the simple sugars at the end. Took it down to 1.001!
****! I don't know if I want it that low. I'm assuming you boiled some water with the sugar. Cup per lb?
__________________
staygoldBREWING

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions
chefchris is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,335
Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

I think it was the magic saison yeast that got it that low. It was friggin amazing. I'm lovin' that beer. Very dry.

I didn't actually measure out my water for the sugar. Just made sure I had enough to get the sugar to dissolve in it. Was a small amount, I know that. Less than 10 oz because I used part of a 10 oz water bottle. Got the water boiling, cut the heat, dumped in the sugar, stirred until it dissolved, brought it back to a boil and then cooled to room temp and poured it in.

__________________

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,021
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

If I am looking for caramelization then I add it at the beginning of the boil. If not then I am going towards the last hop addition. I just made up a 10%abv IIPA and I added it at 30min.

__________________
New and improved signature.
Matt Up North is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,637
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I think it was the magic saison yeast that got it that low. It was friggin amazing. I'm lovin' that beer. Very dry.

I didn't actually measure out my water for the sugar. Just made sure I had enough to get the sugar to dissolve in it. Was a small amount, I know that. Less than 10 oz because I used part of a 10 oz water bottle. Got the water boiling, cut the heat, dumped in the sugar, stirred until it dissolved, brought it back to a boil and then cooled to room temp and poured it in.
hmm, might go this route. I got to thinking about adding the sugar to the boil. If you add the simplest sugar in with the more complex, the yeast are gonna go after the simple sugars. Same reason you don't use corn sugar in a starter. Yeast get lazy.
__________________
staygoldBREWING

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions
chefchris is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,335
Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
hmm, might go this route. I got to thinking about adding the sugar to the boil. If you add the simplest sugar in with the more complex, the yeast are gonna go after the simple sugars. Same reason you don't use corn sugar in a starter. Yeast get lazy.
Exactly. They have to secrete different enzymes to eat maltose than they do simple sugars. So they'll cut through all the simple sugar first and then might not be equipped to finished up the maltose at the end. Or that's what they say.
__________________

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,292
Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Default

My experience is that it doesn't really matter.

__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
iparks81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 566
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

wow that sucks...I had about 1\4 cup of corn sugar left from bottling yesterday, and today I threw the corn sugar in with the extra light DME for my starter..plan on brewing tomorrow night, wonder if I screwed myself on that one...

sorry, not trying to drag the thread off topic just thought I'd chime in

__________________
iparks81 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,292
Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Exactly. They have to secrete different enzymes to eat maltose than they do simple sugars. So they'll cut through all the simple sugar first and then might not be equipped to finished up the maltose at the end. Or that's what they say.
Yes, they say that, but in my experience it doesn't happen like that. Also, if you add it to the kettle, you won't get caramelization. That requires exposure to O2 and temps in excess of 360, neither of which happen in the kettle.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014


Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corn Syrup vs Corn Sugar? Jesse17 Cider Forum 4 04-21-2012 08:11 PM
Flaked Corn VS. Corn Sugar ol' rummie Recipes/Ingredients 8 04-16-2009 03:28 PM
Belgian candy sugar instead of corn sugar for priming? Phan71 Recipes/Ingredients 3 08-04-2008 04:17 PM
corn sugar vs. corn/rice flakes Cos All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 06-18-2008 03:48 PM
corn sugar or corn syrup? nihiles Extract Brewing 10 03-16-2008 12:32 PM