Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Debating on when to add corn sugar to IIPA.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Debating on when to add corn sugar to IIPA.

Brewing up an IIPA right now and I'm going to add 1.5 lbs of corn sugar to help dry the beer out. I've seen two times to add; 15 mins left in the boil and after fermentation has started declining.

Anyone prefer one over the other?

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

In my saison, I had a lb of sugar in the recipe and I added it right as fermentation started to taper off. It works well to make sure you attenuate as well as possible since you let the yeast work on the complex sugars from the malt first, then give them the simple sugars at the end. Took it down to 1.001!

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
chefchris
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
In my saison, I had a lb of sugar in the recipe and I added it right as fermentation started to taper off. It works well to make sure you attenuate as well as possible since you let the yeast work on the complex sugars from the malt first, then give them the simple sugars at the end. Took it down to 1.001!
****! I don't know if I want it that low. I'm assuming you boiled some water with the sugar. Cup per lb?

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 11-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I think it was the magic saison yeast that got it that low. It was friggin amazing. I'm lovin' that beer. Very dry.

I didn't actually measure out my water for the sugar. Just made sure I had enough to get the sugar to dissolve in it. Was a small amount, I know that. Less than 10 oz because I used part of a 10 oz water bottle. Got the water boiling, cut the heat, dumped in the sugar, stirred until it dissolved, brought it back to a boil and then cooled to room temp and poured it in.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I am looking for caramelization then I add it at the beginning of the boil. If not then I am going towards the last hop addition. I just made up a 10%abv IIPA and I added it at 30min.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
chefchris
Recipes 

Quote:
I think it was the magic saison yeast that got it that low. It was friggin amazing. I'm lovin' that beer. Very dry.

I didn't actually measure out my water for the sugar. Just made sure I had enough to get the sugar to dissolve in it. Was a small amount, I know that. Less than 10 oz because I used part of a 10 oz water bottle. Got the water boiling, cut the heat, dumped in the sugar, stirred until it dissolved, brought it back to a boil and then cooled to room temp and poured it in.
hmm, might go this route. I got to thinking about adding the sugar to the boil. If you add the simplest sugar in with the more complex, the yeast are gonna go after the simple sugars. Same reason you don't use corn sugar in a starter. Yeast get lazy.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
hmm, might go this route. I got to thinking about adding the sugar to the boil. If you add the simplest sugar in with the more complex, the yeast are gonna go after the simple sugars. Same reason you don't use corn sugar in a starter. Yeast get lazy.
Exactly. They have to secrete different enzymes to eat maltose than they do simple sugars. So they'll cut through all the simple sugar first and then might not be equipped to finished up the maltose at the end. Or that's what they say.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 530

My experience is that it doesn't really matter.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 11-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
iparks81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

wow that sucks...I had about 1\4 cup of corn sugar left from bottling yesterday, and today I threw the corn sugar in with the extra light DME for my starter..plan on brewing tomorrow night, wonder if I screwed myself on that one...

sorry, not trying to drag the thread off topic just thought I'd chime in

Old 11-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Quote:
Exactly. They have to secrete different enzymes to eat maltose than they do simple sugars. So they'll cut through all the simple sugar first and then might not be equipped to finished up the maltose at the end. Or that's what they say.
Yes, they say that, but in my experience it doesn't happen like that. Also, if you add it to the kettle, you won't get caramelization. That requires exposure to O2 and temps in excess of 360, neither of which happen in the kettle.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply