Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dealing with spent grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ok some good suggestions here but not quite applicable for me - I live in the middle of the city, no gardens. I don't even have a yard debris thing at my condos, but maybe I can use those brown bags? Don't really have a way to dry the stuff either. I am producing too much grain (10-30lbs/wk) to be posting on craigslist everytime. With all the brewers in portland, perhaps we should be pooling our spent grain at a local recycler and they could guide it to a better end.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picobrew View Post
Ok some good suggestions here but not quite applicable for me - I live in the middle of the city, no gardens. I don't even have a yard debris thing at my condos, but maybe I can use those brown bags? Don't really have a way to dry the stuff either. I am producing too much grain (10-30lbs/wk) to be posting on craigslist everytime. With all the brewers in portland, perhaps we should be pooling our spent grain at a local recycler and they could guide it to a better end.
Holy cats you brew a lot. I'm a bit jealous. Got no clue what to do with your grains. When Iw as an extract brewer, I could make bread with all of it, but now that I'm AG (and a renter), I throw it out, too, and wish I had a better option. Luckily the trash gets picked up on Fridays and I brew on the weekend, so that heavy-ass bag is at the bottom of the can, making sure it doesn't tip over.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

build a giant bird feeder....

Old 08-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #14
daveesq
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could find a local brewery (I don't know where in NW you are) that already gets rid of its spent grains and see if they'll take 'em. They probably get paid for it as is, and shouldn't be opposed to a little more.

Dave

Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Here on Long Island our local Township runs a compost facility that will accept organic matter. They compost it and make the compost free for all residents. I routinely drop off my grains and grass clipping off at the facility. The compost is really nice. You can't purchase compost this nice.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 08-02-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #16
hobbsj
Recipes 

You could get worms....
It sounds like you brew a ton. Why not grow your own hops in containers? You can get a cheap plastic rubbermade and poke some holes in it and use the grain for worm composting and BAM you have your own hops, solve the grain problem and get to see the look on people's faces when you tell them you have worms.

And what about community gardens? we have one here around the corner that has an open compost heap. Maybe see if there's one close by and maybe you can get some produce from somebody out of it.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 2682 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
I have been using mine recently in all my beds, it makes a nice mulch, and smells good when you water.
That's what I do - awesome option for those with a garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picobrew View Post
Post a CL ad stating that you'll have grain once a week and how much - you almost certainly have a nearby gardner who'd love a source of awesome composting material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsj View Post
You could get worms....
Seriously - awesome idea. You'll need to build the worms up to the volume you produce, but worms LOVE spent grain. You'd have NO problem SELLING the finished worm compost for a pretty penny.
Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 09-01-2009, 02:46 AM   #18
bladefist
Recipes 

How long will the grains stink? As a newb AG brewer I had no way to get rid of them so i tossed them in the flower bed and raked them smooth, it stinks to high heaven, you can be on the other side of my house and it still stinks. I think I'm going to have to bury them tomorrow or something.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:47 AM   #19
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was wondering if the grains can be dried by putting them in a pan in the oven, though I don't know how long that would have to go for...

Old 09-01-2009, 04:14 AM   #20
hbomb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Portland's known for it's great curbside compost program. If you live in a condo or apt and don't have a city supplied rolltainer maybe you could talk a neighbor into letting you use theirs. Otherwise I'd put in a call to the city's solid waste division and ask where their commercial compost goes and if you can take it there yourself.

Quick Reply